A standalone background rendering app like Adobe's Media Enc

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
Ron Kurti

A standalone background rendering app like Adobe's Media Enc

Post by Ron Kurti » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:39 pm

(note: this is NOT a background processing feature request for track freezes, etc.)

When rendering a track the user would have the option to [Render Now] or [Queue]. Queuing the render would send it to the Ableton render queue. What are the use cases for this? (This would work exactly like Adobe's Media Encoder)

Use case #1 - exporting stems
I don't use Ableton's 'export all tracks' feature. I prefer to hand-hold my stem exporting. This means muting a bunch of tracks or groups, muting all y master racks, and then waiting for the track to render before repeating this process for the next stem. With a render queue I could do all the work first, hit render, and go do something else for twenty minutes while Ableton renders all my stems.

Use case #2 - comparing variations
Lets say you want to compare how your track sounds with three different EQ and compression settings. Like the use case above you would need to tweak and then render each variation separately. With a render queue you could quickly make all your setting adjustments and queue their respective renderings quickly.

Theoretically this should be a straight forward app to develop. Its basically a featureless version of Ableton Live that runs as a black box. All it does is open projects and render a pre-determined block of time.

Pirkka

Re: A standalone background rendering app like Adobe's Media Enc

Post by Pirkka » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:36 am

GREAT IDEA!

If Ableton added a simple command line tool for rendering, 3rd parties and hobbyists could create all kinds of rendering utilities and batch processors.

for example:

bash> live /Users/jondoe/Documents/mysweettrack.alp
rendering........................
RENDER COMPLETE.
bash>

All this command line app would need to do is launch a "headless" Ableton Live instance, render the project and exit.

You'd almost think they already have an internal tool like this for testing purposes or something :D

Not sure if there are some technical hurdles over doing something like this.

I would probably program my box to render all modified tracks while I'm away on a lunch break...

TRPWZ

Post by TRPWZ » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:56 pm

+1

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:10 pm

Ron Kurti wrote:render a pre-determined block of time.
Of what? Arrangement? And if that is empty? Each Scene in turn?
Make some music!