MORE MIDI QUANTIZATION OPTIONS

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
jackobyte

MORE MIDI QUANTIZATION OPTIONS

Post by jackobyte » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:14 am

Like Cubase or Logic I would like to see some preset quantization options for midi parts. I used to find these very useful, sometimes I will still go back to Logic and creat a midi clip just to import into Live.... come on, I don't need to use these outdated pieces of stuff anymore surely....... :lol:

WaveRider

Post by WaveRider » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:58 pm

...especially want to quanntize the end of notes (as an option)

..this is essential.

:)

astar

Post by astar » Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:39 pm

we need groove template quantizing!

It would be simple... For any live clip (i.e. drumloop), use the warp markers' locations as a guide and add an "export to midi/groove" button in the audio clip editor.

Then in the midi clips have a quantize option where you can use the templates exported from the audio clips. This would be very seemless and elegant and it would add a whole new dimension to groove creation in LIVE. That way no matter what audio loop you throw in, you could easily program and quantize your own midi beats that would quantize to that groove.

ACID has it and P5 has it, we need this in LIVE...

Other than that, live 5 is gonna be sweet (maybe more midi features will sneak their way in????)

Just bought my copy of live 4 so I'm countin' the days until they reveal all the new features :)

cheers
Astar

phil dockerty

midi quantze..

Post by phil dockerty » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:53 am

i agree with the above, i still tend to boot up logic for programing midi parts because i find the groove quantize options really useful.
something similar in live would be really cool...exporting the groove from a sampled loop is a great idea and is perfect for live.
version 5 sounds interesting...looking forward to having a look

diverdee

Post by diverdee » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:20 am

this would indeed be a very useful feature - extracting the groove & then setting the grid to correspond, excellent for ripping the groove from a rex file for instance.
the above example where the warp markeresgroove is utilised would appear to be an elegant solution, although I personally would posit that ripping the groove from a midi file would be a natural extension to this.
At the moment I just bounce midi files back into reason for this purpose - but this is a little clunky & time consuming.
On a related issue a percentage function for quantising would probably be useful in combination with this feature (similar to Tracktions implementation) rather than the curent 'all or nothing' approach to quantisation.
Still of the opinion that Live kicks arse, & that Live 5 will insert the proverbial boot firmly deep into the metaphorical sphincter :wink:

louZ

Post by louZ » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:15 pm

This feature has been requested for a long time and I'm a bit disappointed that it didn't make it into Live 5.

There's a couple of threads in the General forum about this too.
Windows XP, P4 2.4Ghz, 2 x 250Gb 7200rpm, 1Gb DDRAM, M-Audio Delta 66 + Omni i/o

3dGus

Post by 3dGus » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:37 pm

I've been wanting to see this for a while as well. The suggestions in this thread:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20465

are very nice. Groove Quantization definitely... but done the ableton way!!

Let's keep this one at the top of the forum

jbratteson

This is the second most needed feature

Post by jbratteson » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:12 pm

i still use Digital Performer mostly. I usually track audio parts in Live, warp marker them then export them into DP. All because DP has all the midi features I need.

I think Live is an amazing tool but it seems to lean too much on the bells and whistles and misses the necessities. Umm, like a simple metronome count off before recording (thankfully this will be in 5)? Umm, midi groove quantising? Midi quantising in general is pretty primitive. Umm, quicktime movie sync playback?

The way it is, Live seems to favor wrting for musical styles that are rythmically very ridgid. Not that there is anything wrong with that but it's good to have the option of being more loose too.

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:36 pm

astar wrote:we need groove template quantizing!

...It would be simple... For any live clip (i.e. drumloop), use the warp markers' locations as a guide and add an "export to midi/groove" button in the audio clip editor.

BUMP :mrgreen:

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs

DJRetard

Post by DJRetard » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:06 am

Were on ver 5 of this software and I think Live is now 4 years old.

Then again adding groove quantise wont help shift units. Ableton, stop pandering to requests from the Mp3 I wanna be a deejay tomorrow brigade and add this much needed and STANDARD feature.

Do we have to wait until ver 6 for this. I hope not.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:56 am

adding standard quantization functions that even fruityloops has might make MUSICIANS take the app seriously and stop calling it 'that looping app'

itterative quantize , groove quantize, quantize ends , etc etc

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:11 am

Angstrom wrote:adding standard quantization functions that even fruityloops has might make MUSICIANS take the app seriously and stop calling it 'that looping app'

itterative quantize , groove quantize, quantize ends , etc etc
It can't be that hard. I think that the extraction and application with midi should be particularly simple. Audio a little harder, but hey - Ableton could do it with the warp engine, easily.

I mean, even Cubase SX 2 can apply groove templates to audio.

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs

chrislake

i'm gonna join in on this one.

Post by chrislake » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:00 am

i agree with all the points above. now that i've cracked sidechain compression in live, the only feature i miss now from logic is better quantisation features, and i do find it hard to see why ableton have not made this a higher priority in their live 5 update?

Is there any possibility of getting word from ableton as to wether they are considering or working on this upgrade to the program please?

C

Scratch-D

Post by Scratch-D » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:41 pm

yes please

louZ

Post by louZ » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:18 pm

:!: