A proper, detatchable mixer (inserts accessible via mixer)

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
kilaars

A proper, detatchable mixer (inserts accessible via mixer)

Post by kilaars » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:33 am

First of all, this is my first post in the forum, so hello everyone! And I'm quite sure that this feature already is on the wishlist (didn't find the search function too useful (or just propably didn't have enough patience lol )), but I'm sure that you just can't stress enough how essential it is.

Ableton Live 10 really HAS GOT to have a detatchable, floating mixer with accessibility to all inserts, and a possibility to view all inserts at once through the mixer. (think cubase, reason or logic here). Every single daw out there has their own version of a proper mixer, except Live. This is a shame, as I, and many others love Live, because it is so quick, intuitive and so on. It is great for nailing ideas down quick, and producing tracks (I produce electronic music). BUT when you get to the mixdown stage, it really s**ks!!! Badly!! While ableton has been a true innovator in the DAW-scene, the mixer is the worst in the industry (that I've come across to). It really is a joke compared to the Mix Console in Cubase 7, or the mixer in Logic X.

I'm a long time die-hard abletoner and I hate to say it, but I am going to switch DAWs if there is no improvement on this case in the 10th iteration of the software, because mixing in it is really just a pain in the a**. And I'm sure that countless people are going to do the same. 10th version, seriously!!! Live has been around so long that it's unbelievable that the Ableton team hasn't picked up on this major issue yet. :|

I understand that Ableton wants to focus on the live performance side of the application, but it is going to lose a lot of customers that use Live to create music if it there isn't going to be any improvement on this.

So, this is my first post, never been a forum-type-of-guy, but I just had to create an account when I couldn't see this in the wishlist section (I'm sure that it is there, tho). Everyone wants new features, like Retina Support, or Chord Identifier or Tempo BPM with 4 decimals. Not rounding off to 2 decimals. :lol: They are all good ideas, but hey, seriously, the mixer, anyone? Doesn't the mixer bother you people :D I really think that the more features, the better, but before implementing new gadgets and stuff, shouldn't Ableton take care of the elephant in the living room, that no-one seems to notice!?? :roll:

What do you think? Comment! Discuss! And have an excellent day, everyone! 8)

EDIT: Added a screenshot from Logic Pro X for reference. (Ableton doesn't even compare! This might not seem like a big deal for peeps who use Live for performing, but it is really bread n' butter stuff for DAWs designed for producing)

Last edited by kilaars on Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

erikomic

Re: A proper, detatchable mixer (channel strips etc.)

Post by erikomic » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:48 pm

Personnaly I don't need floating mixer, I hate it how it always seems to get in the way. The mixing section in arrangement or session seems to work fine for me, especially since I use midi controllers to mix. I must admit that some peakmeter saying what is the headroom could be of some use in arrangement view. I've heard you can have now multiscreen view, I don't use'em but it might be one solution for you.
I'd prefer for live to concentrate on a coherent zooming for overall clip view/arrangement and so...

kilaars

Re: A proper, detatchable mixer (channel strips etc.)

Post by kilaars » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:20 pm

Yeah, I meant a detachable mixer that you could detach if you wished :wink: but that is secondary, really. What the mixer should have is accessibility to all inserts, sends, (and possibly a quick-to-use channel strip). It really speeds up the workflow in the mixdown when you can see all the inserts at once.

erikomic

Re: A proper, detatchable mixer (inserts accessible via mixer)

Post by erikomic » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:36 pm

might want to check this implementation : viewtopic.php?f=1&t=190879&hilit=Hidden ... evice+view

it adds some device slot view.

login

Re: A proper, detatchable mixer (inserts accessible via mixer)

Post by login » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:03 pm

Detachable not, only a button to make a full screen mixer, and make the already avaible insert view an "open" option.