Press Up/Down Arrow to edit playing clip please make it stop

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
tedlogan

Press Up/Down Arrow to edit playing clip please make it stop

Post by tedlogan » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:13 am

I've submitted a suggestion, I've moaned on the Beta forum, and yet only 2 other people voted for it in a few weeks.

Doesn't this annoy the living fuck out of you guys? It's not working as intended, is totally unneeded, and makes me wanna fuck myself to death.

FUCK.

PLEASE remove this annoying "feature"

chordole.vv

Re: Press Up/Down Arrow to edit playing clip please make it stop

Post by chordole.vv » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:54 pm

Your question is Years ago, it’s 2021 and I still have this fucking error and it’s stealing my love time ABLETON!!! So anybody has a solution for this?

qub1t

Re: Press Up/Down Arrow to edit playing clip please make it stop

Post by qub1t » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:01 pm

I really don't understand this behavior. I hit it within my first hour or two playing with the Push 2.

I'm selecting a clip in session mode (Push 2 session mode to be clear). The pad is flashing, and it's playing. This is on a Drum Rack track.

I hit the "Note" button, where I am in the loop selector mode. At this point, I would think that I would see the green position indicator animating through the step sequencer. And I would expect that I could tap a drum pad and start editing that drum's notes in the sequencer. I spent 10 minutes trying to figure out why that wasn't working until I noticed the "press up arrow" button.

There is so much wrong with the UI here (which is uncharacteristic for Ableton's products)

First, I don't understand the explanations for *why* I can't edit directly. It seems like I'm on the right clip to edit it. Second, even if those explanations made sense, the message disappears as soon as you start flipping through layouts (which is probably what most novice users would start to do when they can't get the sequencer to behave the way they would expect). Finally, the choice of the up arrow as the button to rectify the situation is completely unintutitive. What in the world does the up arrow have to do with the mode I'm in? I was looking all over for some kind of button that would let me edit individual drums, to no avail.

I hope I'm just doing something wrong when I want to edit a MIDI drum rack clip. Can somebody explain to me how I keep finding myself in this situation where I need another random button press to do what I want to do? Maybe there's a change I can make in my workflow. Thanks!