Chop-Edit Samples in Session View

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
spanktron

Chop-Edit Samples in Session View

Post by spanktron » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:39 am

Would love to be able to edit and chop etc Samples in the session view.
For example multiply a drum hit within a sample itself before i have to go to Arrngmnt view to do so.

fahrradrepariermann

Re: Chop-Edit Samples in Session View

Post by fahrradrepariermann » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:18 am

Do you mean, there should be CONTAINER CLIPS for small audio clips arrangements?
Bitwig can place multiple audio events per audio clip. Cubase also have container clips for audio events.

I want to make beat patterns with audio samples in a clip. It would be easy to make variations of this (clip with a) beat pattern by chopping, pitching, reversing, repeating samples that are contained in such a clip.

NOW:
- I only can do this by using midi. It needs so many many steps more than using CONTAINER CLIPS in cubase.

- Or I have to consolidate small audio clip arrangements. But I can't do beat variations so easy.

spanktron

Post by spanktron » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:09 pm

i don`t 100% understand what you are saying. I don`t understand "Container Clips"
Let`s stay in ableton. I don`t know what cubase can-can not do

if you are in arrangement view you can let an area in the timeline loop and
then start chopping-editing a sample (lets say drums) in an audio track and experiment with it.
In session view you are not able to do that.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:52 pm

He's saying that to allow multiple edits within a clip requires Live to understand clips as "containers" for multiple events. Container clips, objects which contain several items.
At the moment each live clip cannot do this, as each clip only has one set of start and end markers which apply to the single content item.

It would be very good if Live's clips could contain multiple elements, it's something I've wanted for a long time. It's a good thing that Bitwig and Reason and other DAWs can do this, it might help.

spanktron

Post by spanktron » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:51 pm

Oh i see. So it is possible in other Daws. Well how do we get Ableton to follow up? :-)

Thanks