Freeze tracks with sidechain

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
chapelier fou

Freeze tracks with sidechain

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:23 pm

Add on option to apply Sidechain compression on a frozen track please...
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Stromkraft

Re: Freeze tracks with sidechain

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:41 pm

chapelier fou wrote:Add on option to apply Sidechain compression on a frozen track please...
Don't you actually mean "apply freeze to a track containing a device with sidechain input"? Like when you duck the base channel with input from the kick.
Because nothing prevents you from sending a frozen track to a return track with compression on it, right?

One temp solution until Ableton fix this, would be to group the single frozen channel, putting it inside of a buss, split any attenuation between the frozen track and the buss and place the side-chain in the buss track. Not perfect, but it works at least.
Make some music!

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:07 pm

Stromkraft wrote: Because nothing prevents you from sending a frozen track to a return track with compression on it, right?
Thanks ! Great workaround.

jinek

Post by jinek » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:32 pm

This thing is not trivial. To do this developers have to allow Ableton to freeze only instrument but leave fxs to work. It would be interesting function.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:45 pm

jinek wrote:This thing is not trivial. To do this developers have to allow Ableton to freeze only instrument but leave fxs to work. It would be interesting function.
Why? 2 tracks connected via side-chain would sound exactly the same both unfrozen and frozen, wouldn't they? Or at least close enough. If you freeze and unfreeze both it wouldn't even be noticeable.

Please elaborate how this is not trivial enough to warrant the existence of this function.
Make some music!

jinek

Post by jinek » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:06 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
jinek wrote:This thing is not trivial. To do this developers have to allow Ableton to freeze only instrument but leave fxs to work. It would be interesting function.
Why? 2 tracks connected via side-chain would sound exactly the same both unfrozen and frozen, wouldn't they? Or at least close enough. If you freeze and unfreeze both it wouldn't even be noticeable.

Please elaborate how this is not trivial enough to warrant the existence of this function.
First track is not just simple linear sound. It can contain clips and it is undetermined what will be played on it.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:59 pm

jinek wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:

First track is not just simple linear sound. It can contain clips and it is undetermined what will be played on it.
I see your point. Perhaps if only clips in arrangement was frozen? They are bound in time to each other after all. If frozen they could be immovable until unfrozen to keep that tie. A little like when you can't increase loop repeats when a clip is frozen in Arrangement.
Make some music!

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:51 am

Well, as far as i know the purpose of freezing a track was originally to render the FXs so it spares the CPU. So Freezing clips only would be sort of useless.
Except for MIDI tracks : i often freeze Midi tracks containing long chords, so i can move in the arrangement without missing notes on.