“Alias” clips in SESSION mode

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
nonchai

“Alias” clips in SESSION mode

Post by nonchai » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:19 am

Cubase has long had an alias feature whereby phrases simply “mirror” a “master” MIDI segment.

Ableton kind of has this when clips get used in an arrangement - up to a point. but no such feature exists in SESSION mode.

Its often very useful to have many copies of the SAME clip in the same track in order to build up different kinds of scenes. But the problem is once a copy
has been made it is independent. So any changes to the original clip idea do not get reflected unless one copies everything again.

So we need a CLIP ALIAS feature in Ableton too. This might confuse a little but would also be REALLY useful. And of course there needs to be clip alias “lock” features as well as “make into copy” feature - where we really DO want to diverge from the “master” clip.

mcdreamer

Re: “Alias” clips in SESSION mode

Post by mcdreamer » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:52 pm

I think this has been requested before but I'm all in favour of it! I've only been a Live user since version 9 and was amazed to find you couldn't do this.

Jdudeo

Post by Jdudeo » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:04 am

I'm making a Max for Live device that does this, it's not a replacement for a native implementation in Live but it's definitely good enough as a workaround, I plan to release it this weekend and will post back here when it's up..

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:21 pm

Looking forward to it, Jdudeo!

Alias clips is a feature I've been wanting ever since I started using Live.

Jdudeo

Post by Jdudeo » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:14 pm

Idonotlikebroccoli wrote:Looking forward to it, Jdudeo!

Alias clips is a feature I've been wanting ever since I started using Live.
I've finally been able to release this device, have a look and let me know what you think..

http://jgarcia.hungry.jp/project/alias-clips/