Push note/drum rack mode lock (esp. for return tracks)

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
dburton

Push note/drum rack mode lock (esp. for return tracks)

Post by dburton » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:14 am

When in note or drum rack mode, trying to tweak parameters on a return track device disappointingly leaves me suddenly with a bed of dark, silent pads (since the track "focus" necessarily switches to the return track when selected, which obviously has no note mode associated with it).

I'm aware that I can right click on the return track device and select "lock to control surface..." and then go back to note mode of the track I was just playing on, but this still requires me to stop playing music, be locked out of using the pads momentarily, and fiddle around with the mouse back on the computer, which always risks breaking creative flow. Considering that a return track will NEVER require the use of Push's pads, it boggles the mind why Push does this (i.e. why should Push's pads be hijacked by selecting on a return track, even when the previously selected track is still record-armed? This way return tracks will always be accompanied by a set of dark, "dead" pads, so to speak...). Since the non-stop making/composing music was advertised as one of Push's strongest points, having it programmed this way is especially confusing to me.

And why stop at return tracks while at it, honestly? It seems like a bit of a no-brainer to allow Push to lock in whatever note mode or drum rack mode currently lighting up the pads and be able to navigate around to other tracks while continuing to play music...every cheap 3rd party midi keyboard or controller I've hooked up to Ableton has this basic functionality, so I never imagined Push being programmed this way. I emailed support and all they told me was that this behavior is "normal" and that they can't comment about it being modified in any future updates...bummer...fingers crossed for an update!

dengosão

Re: Push note/drum rack mode lock (esp. for return tracks)

Post by dengosão » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:49 pm

I totally agree with you. Have you found any solution for this?

prizzle9

Re: Push note/drum rack mode lock (esp. for return tracks)

Post by prizzle9 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:22 am

This is essential, it makes doing things like changing drum bus compression a pain for me. I often tweak settings on the bus while hitting drums pads & can't do this if Push moves its focus to the group track when selecting it.