MIDI Filtering

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Udo Behm

MIDI Filtering

Post by Udo Behm » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:08 am

Hi. Would be nice being able to add MIDI filters to a single MIDI track in Live (e. g. as a option in the I-O preferences for a track) or as a global option that would be applied for all tracks that use MIDI devices and inputs.

Concrete I would like being able to filter out unwanted MIDI CCs, program change and so on either for only one track/channel or completely for all tracks in Live. Also I would like to adapt the velocity curve, also for either only one track or for all tracks in a project (to adjust the pressure on the keys). Also add transformation options, e. g. to "convert" MIDI CC 1 into aftertouch or program change or vice versa...

As a third option I would recommend you to integrate the same (at least three) options (filtering unwanted MIDI CCs and other stuff as well as changing the velocity curve as well as transforming MIDI CC into other stuff) as a fourth editor in the decive chain list of an instrument rack.

Please standardly add checkmarks for all the 127 MIDI CCs so that individual controllers can be disabled, either for one track, for all tracks or only for the devices in an instrument rack. Thank you!

Richie Witch

Re: MIDI Filtering

Post by Richie Witch » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:19 pm

You might find some of the capability your looking for in the MIDI compressor effect. It lets you adjust all the velocities of a MIDI clip in some really creative ways, including adjustable randomness to push velocities higher or lower, without raising or lowering all of them by the same amount.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

Udo Behm

Post by Udo Behm » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:25 am

Thanks. However my idea would be to implement MIDI filtering on a 'global' level as well as on certain tracks and within Instrument Racks. So far I see no solution to quickly filter MIDI messages for a whole Live project or for certain tracks (of course, this could be done by adding filtering devices). I'd like being able to quickly open this new MIDI filter Device in the I-O settings of a track or globally for a whole Live project. For me it would make sense to also integrate this functionality standardly and quick to open also in Instrument Racks. Of course each filtering Device should work independently to filter or change MIDI messages for the whole project, a certain track or for only the Instrument Rack.

timday

Post by timday » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:30 am

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... idi-filter might do it.

I think there's stuff in the standard M4L plugins as well.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:44 am

Traditionally filtering is done at the transmitting or receiving device and velocity curves are set at the transmitting device.

But I can't think of a single plugin with filtering. Hardware, sure.

If you really want MIDI filtering: buy Cubase 8O

Direct manipulation of MIDI data (as opposed to automation) has been out of favor for a long time. Cubase, DP and Logic all have it because they started out as MIDI sequencers long before digital audio recording was possible. Live doesn't.

IMage_Engine

Post by IMage_Engine » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:56 pm

More the fact that playing real instruments is becoming less of a deal as time moves on...ie its mainly button pressing now. Just a simple plug in the format like the one in Kore2 (plugin host for live instrument playing) is brilliant.

To say that it all belongs to hardware is...hmm...puzzling because of the complexity that softsynths create, there is no way to reasonably manage on the factors ie just a simple piano and pad where the pad should not respond to sustain CC64...just try it in hardware even on a decent specd midi controller. Its find sitting in the bedroom and tinkering...playing collaboratively and immersing that expression is the core of music.

Ever since I started using Live 3, its been puzzling (the descent of expressive live playing at gigs) but by the time Live 7 was out and see the majority of gigs, yeah actual playing still exists but its a minority now.
There seems to be no standard filtering available. Pity cant use the Cubase plugs (as they moved from hardwired track filtering to plugs for everything).
I know this is an old thread but from what I can see...there is still no simple solutions...and thats aside from the fact that when I tried Max4L, Live strips the channel of midi tracks so inside the track...everthing is ch1. Ie you cant use multichannel midi devices on a track in Live...you have to split each instance to a separate channel.

IMage_Engine

Post by IMage_Engine » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:19 pm

Please Ableton...could you make just a simple midi filtering plug in and save the pain of installing Max etc. Just the same as the internal one in Kore2 or Cubase.

pottering

Post by pottering » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:37 am

If you want to filter out a few MIDI CC messages it is possible to just assign them to knobs or whatever in MIDI Rack or MIDI FX (or any device) and then just disable that Rack or device.

Since MIDI messages used in remote control are not sent to the track's input anymore (even if the device is disabled the assignment still works).
♥♥♥

bicho

Post by bicho » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:35 pm

pottering wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:37 am
If you want to filter out a few MIDI CC messages it is possible to just assign them to knobs or whatever in MIDI Rack or MIDI FX (or any device) and then just disable that Rack or device.

Since MIDI messages used in remote control are not sent to the track's input anymore (even if the device is disabled the assignment still works).
This is quite a cumbersome workaround, ain't it?

IMage_Engine

Post by IMage_Engine » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:39 pm

Not many times I say ridiculous...but this is one of them :-)

pottering

Post by pottering » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:19 pm

bicho wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:35 pm
pottering wrote:

This is quite a cumbersome workaround, ain't it?
No, it is easy.
♥♥♥

pottering

Post by pottering » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:20 pm

IMage_Engine wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:39 pm
Not many times I say ridiculous...but this is one of them :-)
Feel free not to use my tip, ungrateful [naughty boy].

[edit: removed bad word]
Last edited by pottering on Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
♥♥♥

IMage_Engine

Post by IMage_Engine » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:41 pm

Firstly, I never swore or was derogatory to you ie in any way
Secondly, you either havent worked in many other packages or you are blind to simply dropping a plug in a filter vs your setup. Hey, thanks for the tip...but its a WORKAROUND vs eg Cubase its already part of the track architecture and far more powerful
Thirdly, I love Live despite its kludges...why dont you try using the API or max4L? You will see that it strips the channel off the byte so that the channel info never even makes it to the stream.

Pottering, thanks for you workaround but no thanks; I would prefer a dedicated plug than a hack.

mickey.pearce

Post by mickey.pearce » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:51 am

pottering wrote:

Is it possible to filter out start/stop messages that ableton sends to my volcas? Thanks for your help

Picky-Picasso

Post by Picky-Picasso » Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:40 am

Max is installed WITH ableton, so we no longer have to worry/argue about that.

What I'd like (and will build as I get the skill in Max) is a simple device with 16 on/off checkboxes so that I can turn each Midi channel on and off.

You see, MPE can be 1-16 OR 3-16 or 4-16. (or whatever) Since I'd like a channel for drums and a channel for another instrument that is record enabled in my default set, but MPE needs "All Channels" enabled for the track's IO, I can stop my MPE device from controlling the other instruments, but I can't stop them from fiddling with the MPE channel.

What I need is to be able to say:

Controller
  • send MPE on: Channels 4-16
Live
  • Track A: Midi From: Channel 2
  • Track B: Midi From: Channel 3
  • Track C: Midi From: All Channels (for MPE)
  • AND THEN a NEW M4L device on Track C filters out Midi Channels 1, 2 and 3.
I would add that if anyone knows of such a device already existing - PLEASE let me know! 8O