Freeze for Virus Ti as plug-in

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
purusha

Freeze for Virus Ti as plug-in

Post by purusha » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:39 pm

Although I realise I can work around this, the work-flow in Cubase for real-time freezing Virus Ti when used as a plug-in works relatively seamlessly.

Some way of achieving similar on Ableton Live would mean I'd be more easily be able to use Ableton as a compositional tool.

Richie Witch

Re: Freeze for Virus Ti as plug-in

Post by Richie Witch » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:10 pm

Can you describe what feature you're missing? I freeze tracks from my hardware synths all the time, but I'm not familiar with Cubase.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

purusha

Post by purusha » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:03 pm

If I use it as a hardware synth, setting it up as an "external" instrument in Ableton, then - yep, it works as any hardware synth might.

In plug-in mode, it acts like it's a soft-synth plug-in, transferring the audio via 6 USB streams (3 stereo). Due to generating sound via DSP, it can't render in the same way as a soft-synth. On Ableton, it throws an error saying that real-time freeze/render isn't possible.

Using as a plug-in has various advantages, the main one being that you're not limited to the presets stored on-board. You can browse and seamlessly transfer presets (and edit them) on your PC/Mac.

Like I say, there are known work-arounds (like resampling), but an option to render in real-time would, I reckon, make things much more straight-forward.

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:23 pm

Ah, got it. That does sound like an issue/bug.

Makes me wonder what happens if I use my Lexicon MX300 as an effect plug-in and try freezing a track. Guess I'll have to test that this weekend.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute