Working at A=432Hz is impossible

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
WaveRider

Working at A=432Hz is impossible

Post by WaveRider » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:05 pm

I have a project that involve music at A=432Hz. Just a retuning.

I have been told by support that the instruments in live9 suite (electric, operator, etc) only operate with a tuning A=440hz.

It is very important to be able to tune to a different pitch because even if 440Hz is the standard some musicians use other tunings.

432Hz is widely used, and was the standard way back in time.
Just google it, so you know why....

..some metal bands I know use A=442Hz to sound brighter.

Anyway I think it is important for a musical instrument to have the option to retune its base pitch.
Most synths can be adjusted, and of course all stringed instruments.

I request that feature for all instruments in live suite.

infernal.machine

Re: Working at A=432Hz is impossible

Post by infernal.machine » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:46 am

No. This just supports the hippie bullshitters that think it makes a difference.

Convert the project to 440 and you're good to go.

WaveRider

Post by WaveRider » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:55 pm

infernal.machine wrote:No. This just supports the hippie bullshitters that think it makes a difference.

Convert the project to 440 and you're good to go.

...and who are you to tell me what to think?

the software is supposed to be flexible, and most instruments can be retuned, so if ableton is in the business of music software, they should fix that.

BTW there are chamber orchestras who work in 432Hz, because their repertoire was made to be played at that pitch.

..should not affect in any way those who work n 440Hz

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:54 pm

Ok yeah and Ableton should probably consider creating a live pack with samples of drum circles and people talking about crystals and how amazing they feel after a juice cleanse.

And the Live Suite box should come with an oz of weed in a ziploc.

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:55 pm

btw you can tune anything to whatever you want using max for live...

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:27 am

I don't buy into the 432 herz thing...

But the OP is right.

Live should support different turnings natively.

gomi

Post by gomi » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:08 pm

re:dream wrote:I don't buy into the 432 herz thing...

But the OP is right.

Live should support different turnings natively.
http://medson.net/a432hz-myth.html

432 Hz, the frequency of water?
Stating that 432 Hz is the frequency of the water seems wacky. What is the frequency of the water? It is often said that microwave ovens operate on the water molecule. So the frequency of the water should be close to 2'450 MHz, the magnetron frequency. This vibration corresponds to the note D in the current system. The microwave oven used in kitchens consist of a wave generator called a magnetron and an antenna housed in the upper part of the appliance. The frequency used does not correspond exactly to the resonance of the H2O water molecule. It is a compromise that allows efficient agitation of water molecules under the action of the frequency.

What is the vibrational frequency of the water?
Water, despite its apparent simplicity is still a mystery to science. Water is liquid because the molecular bond between two molecules (called bridge or hydrogen bond) breaks every billionths of a thousandth of a second. At this level, it is called Terahertz vibration, a frequency close to that of the infrared. Water is like a liquid crystal in continuous vibration and when the temperature drops, it freezes. This undulation ceases and water crystallizes to form ice. One thousand billion Hertz: 1 THz. This frequency, transcoded to the 31st lower octave, gives a D3 sharp to 310.44 Hz. This is far from 432.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:08 am

Gomi, you are missing my point. I agree with you the notion that a 432 tuning is better is complete bullshit.

But: that does not take away the point that Live should support alternative tunings.

For instance, anyone who wants to use non-western scales like maqam etc would not be able to do that with Live's devices.

It is a pity that the whole discussion gets derailed in this way so often. The OP was in fact not arguing that the 432 tuning is better. He was just wanting that option. What wrong with that? And why dump on his head for a dizzy height for something he did not say?