Old Style Waveform Zoom

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
NeilUK

Old Style Waveform Zoom

Post by NeilUK » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:04 pm

Version 8 brought in a new warping method ... with that we lost the ability to zoom in/out by selecting the waveform in session view.

A few years back a poll was created on the forum requesting for this feature to be re-instated.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=105551

I would often zoom in really quick on a waveform to change a loop point, or manually trigger a clip somewhere else. Version8 onwards I now have to hit a MUCH smaller area to do that. It's a small change, but it makes a huge difference to how you zoom and navigate within a clip ... especially when playing live and using a touchpad.

Please let us select how we want this controlled in the preferences. Ideally I would like to be able to zoom in/out by dragging any area of the waveform and also have the ability to make playback jump by clicking a point in the scrub zone ... the same as it was back in Ableton 7 and below.

Thanks.

romanempire

Re: Old Style Waveform Zoom

Post by romanempire » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:48 pm

completely agree. this is killing me.
you can use the lower part of the waveform to skip to another track area and use SHIFT+click to zoom/scroll but this is problematic for live performances - if you forget to press SHIFT or your finger slips, you accidentally skip. terrible in front of an audience.
another way to do this is to change the PERMANENT SCRUB AREA setting. then you normally scroll/zoom but have to SHIFT+click to skip inside the track. trying this out right now, maybe it is a better solution but keeps one hand occupied while skipping, which could be used on the midi controller at the same time. so not ideal.

hoping for a LEGACY FUNCTIONALITY option from Live for this one...

Idonotlikebroccoli

Re: Old Style Waveform Zoom

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:41 am

Selecting an area and zooming in on it would be faster and more comfortable than click+drag.