Problems with the new Launchpad MK2

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Player X

Problems with the new Launchpad MK2

Post by Player X » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:19 am

Hi,
I'm Player X and I'm new here. Well, in reality it's no wish but a problem which must be solved necessarily but I found no more suitable forum for this.
First I bought the Launchpad S and it's perfect (except for a few bugs) but a few months ago the new Launchpad MK2 with blue LEDs came out and I bought it but after a short time I was disappointed because I saw that the notes have a different arrangement, the color structure of the lights is completely different and the Launchpad MK2 has a different system so it's incompatible with all Live-Sets that have been created so far.

That the notes on the Launchpad MK2 have a different arrangement as on the Launchpad and the Launchpad S is not a problem because User 1 arranges it right again but the color structure of the Launchpad MK2 is totally different as the Launchpad and the Launchpad S so that all has a wrong color (for example red is green or orange is blue) and the most people don't know what SysEx is and how it works and even that gives me a few problems. At the Launchpad and the Launchpad S at each velocity the red will be somewhat brighter and at each 4th velocity it goes off and at each 16th velocity the green will be somewhat brighter and at velocity 64 it goes off. So normally at each 4th velocity the blue should be somewhat brighter and at each 16th velocity it should go off and because this at first as I didn't have the Launchpad MK2 accordingly I had adjusted my Live-Sets but as I bought the Launchpad MK2 and saw this totally different color structure I was very disappointed because with this you can't freely mix the colors.
And because the new control surface for the Launchpad MK2 you will have problems. Always the Launchpad and the Launchpad S send and recive on channel 1 and only Ableton Live changes the MIDI-signals for itself in channel 5 (at User 1), channel 6 (at User 2) or channel 7 (at Mixer) but it sends it always on channel 1 to the Launchpad and the Launchpad S and normally the Launchpad MK2 sends and recives the MIDI-signals on channel 1 but if Ableton Live uses the control surface for the Launchpad MK2 it sends and recives the MIDI signals direct on channel 6, 7 or 8 at User 1 and on channel 14, 15 or 16 at User 2 (depending on how it was adjusted in the bootloader of the Launchpad MK2) therefore you can't switch to a different chain (because channel 5 is required) and don't see the lights. Therefore everyone must change the channels and the MIDI mappings and the most people don't know this.
And the control surface for the Launchpad MK2 has another problem but this isn't so big. The top 8 round buttons aren't notes but controllers and if the color of it must be change the control surface for the Launchpad MK2 don't change it and if the people create or play a Live-Set which should change the colors of this buttons they will be disappointed. Is it like this because the control surface for the Launchpad and the Launchpad S makes it black with the value 64 and the value 64 of the Launchpad MK2 is green? Value 0 is always black so it can thus will be updated.
By the way, why don't Ableton Live sends Note On with velocity 0? I wrote to the support of Novation and so long as Novation don't change the color structure of the Launchpad MK2 only velocity 0 will be black and without velocity 0 you can't manuelly turn off the light of a button.

But I've a wish too. The support of Novation gave me this link and with Ableton Live you can make everything imaginable. Why not SysEx too? :D With RGB Mode it's able to mix each color but this is able only with SysEx.
By the way, I tested it with Bome's Midi Translator Classic and I saw, that Novation made the 4 strengths of brightness of the simple colors with 00h, 10h, 20h and 3Fh (or 00h, 0Fh, 1Fh and 3Fh? :?:).
Or you hide the simple color structure how at the Launchpad and the Launchpad S with the control surface for the Launchpad MK2 (of course with blue) in SysEx. :lol:
Thank you, very much! :wink:

PS: Sorry for my bad English! :oops: