dB Peak Level Meter in Arrangement View

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
JamesFB

dB Peak Level Meter in Arrangement View

Post by JamesFB » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:27 pm

Hi,

For how many years and versions have people been asking for the simple implementation of the Session View dB Peak Level Meter to be available for viewing in the Arrangement View?

This SIMPLE fix, asked for in the forums since version 6 (probably earlier), would streamline the mixing process for a vast number of users.

JUST DO IT ALREADY, PLEASE!!!!! Christ..................

Tarekith

Re: dB Peak Level Meter in Arrangement View

Post by Tarekith » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:59 am

There is a peak level meter in the arrange page already, just expand the master channel in that view to make it bigger. If you need need to see the exact read out value, just hit TAB once. :)

Christ.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

JamesFB

Post by JamesFB » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:29 pm

You'll need to upload an image, as I do not see the peak meter on any track in Arrangement view.

Am I to assume your suggestion of hitting "tab" is to see session view? Mind, that's not hitting tab once, that's hitting tab at least twice if working from Arrangement.

I do not understand why the programmers at Ableton here wouldn't put the same meter in both views. It boggles the mind!

Bitwig seems like a brighter option by the day....

JamesFB

Post by JamesFB » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:48 pm

I mean, the reason this bothers me so much is because it's embarrassing.

I do not use the meters myself, however... when I'm giving instruction to new users who are asking about such devices, yes, I actually thought there was the same dB meter in both views.
Instructed my buddy that he wasn't looking hard enough, that he had to expand his window.
He said he still couldn't see it...

Then, when seeking it out myself... I realized... IT DOESN'T EXIST, contrary to all sense and reason.

Seriously. We've spent no small amount of time looking for this meter that you, Mr. Ableton Admin, says exists. It doesn't. And the "just hit TAB!" solution is insulting and misses the point entirely.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:41 pm

Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

JamesFB

Post by JamesFB » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:45 pm

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the dB meter in Session View that measures peaks.

Check threads:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=164336

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=208259

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=154756

It's not just me..........

hotel17

Post by hotel17 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:43 am

JamesFB wrote:That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the dB meter in Session View that measures peaks.

Check threads:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=164336

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=208259

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=154756

It's not just me..........
indeed please put Peak Level in arrangement view so we can have a worthy mixer. This is so annoying when learning students to watch the peak level. for example when changing thegain of clip in arrangement view they have to use the tab to see peak level

fedesilvaponte

Post by fedesilvaponte » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:06 am

I agree this is a feature we need to make mixing easier. Please add this, is not that big of a change we are asking for.

Snedmusic

Post by Snedmusic » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:53 am

Rather shocked this isn't sorted out yet! Would be so simple to have the exact same GUI feature from Session - maybe collapsible within the master track on Arrangement. Yes of course the tiny volume meter exists there, but we actually need the meter to display specific peak dB levels.

djyroc

Post by djyroc » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:58 am

just came here looking for a solution to this and found this thread from 5 years ago with @tarekith being condescending because they didn't understand what the person was asking for. weird.
Tarekith wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:59 am
There is a peak level meter in the arrange page already, just expand the master channel in that view to make it bigger. If you need need to see the exact read out value, just hit TAB once. :)

Christ.

cyberluke

Post by cyberluke » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:26 pm

Yes, same need here.

The best would be to display also VU meter visualiser on each channel (could work in session view).

Or some Max4Device hack for monitoring FX like Reaper has? Imagine you put your favourite metering FX and VU meter on special track called Monitoring FX. This would be the FX that gets processed automatically on currently selected track in arrangement.

Workaround for now might be put metering plugins on every track, sort them manually every time you add new track or group, then arrange them on a second dedicated screen (iPad might do well here).

Another option is switch DAW (Reaper, Cubase, etc.) or buy a hybrid digital mixer with USB streaming and DAW integration (Studio One and Presonus products are the best integrated ones on the market), namely Presonus StudioLive 32SX: https://www.thomann.de/cz/presonus_studiolive_32sx.htm ...works in Ableton, but if you want full channel strip control, you need to switch DAW to Studio One.

I tried even dedicated iPad apps with touch faders and it does not display exact dB value either, so in 2021 there is still no solution to this simple, but important enhancement.

We are working ITB, in the box, but everything is so much abstract that it kills creativity 70% of the time. Not good investment!!

DJ DA3DALUS

Post by DJ DA3DALUS » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:22 am

Does anyone know if this was added in Ableton 11?

Having a dB peak level meter in arrangement view would be HUGE. From my point of view, I can't see why this wouldn't be an easy thing to implement.

Additionally, there should be a way to expand the Gain Meters in the effect chain section so that you can see the peak dB as well.

With these two enhancements, not only could you quickly lower whatever sample etc. you add in the arrangement view, but you'll be able to quickly determine what the gain input/output is in terms of peak dB in your effect chain. This would allow people to rapidly gain stage and make their mixes that much better. I'm honestly surprised that this has not been implemented already.

ontigor

Post by ontigor » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:26 am

I totally agree with you except for the being surprised that it hasn't been implemented already. We're talking about Ableton; there's a solid chance it'll never be implemented, and if it is, it'll likely come years from now during a full version release like Ableton 12+. There are plenty of simple-to-implement features that people have begged for for years (like using warping algorithms in Sampler, like you can in Simpler), that Ableton has purposely maintained radio silence on.

With stuff like this --that they're obviously aware Live is missing but refuse to quickly fix or even comment about-- I think the most logical explanation is that they keep those kinds of features in their back pocket so they can beef up their big, for-profit releases when they need to. Like if they need to push a new version, they'll trickle in the important features that they've been withholding as a way to get people to open their wallets.

Basically, if the program worked the way it was supposed to/should, a lot of people wouldn't pay for an upgrade if they didn't think they'd use any of the new features. But when paid version releases include headache-reducing features that the program has needed all along, even people who don't care about the new stuff will be like OMFG YES FINALLY (remember how it took Ableton --the digital audio workstation-- 10 versions to finally add the option to export an mp3? And it took until mid-2018 to be able to use VST3, which was ten years old at the time)

Prosmack

Post by Prosmack » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:06 pm

Here is a "solution" for a single-screen 16x9 use case.

(open the images in a new tab to see the full size versions)

1: Hit Ctrl+Shift+w or select Second Window under View.

2: Arrange like so:

Enjoy!

op_01

Post by op_01 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:29 pm

+111