Lock piano roll to key scale & mode

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Der Monotonist

Re: Lock piano roll to key scale & mode

Post by Der Monotonist » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:35 am

I just happened to look into the forums to request this feature.

As a person who is not musically trained and selftought, I am just getting into scales.
I get the idea behind MIDI-Scale-Effects but as a learner, it opens a gap, that has not been bridged yet. The scales-effect may transmit your notes into the "desired ones" but does it _after_ you input them all over the place with only a slight sense of "up-and-down-relations" and rhythm. You see only the notes you entered in the right "grid".

I think, it would be more of a "subconscious" learning-process to have the ability to lock the piano-roll itself to a certain scale (for example by adding a "scale-rider" in the top left corner).
You'd have a more direct connection to the scale, seeing it while setting melodies by mouse - It could be better memorized by doing it.

In the years, I use Live I've noticed that Ableton seems to be not only interested in teaching the software itself, but to teach musicmaking in general interactively. This feature might be beneficial to that goal without cluttering the software, the user gets offered.

Also I am well aware of the possibilities of the Push-Hardware and M4L. In my opinion, this is kind of a starter-feature and many people who get involved with (electronic) music for the first time are not fully invested (financially) at first. So they start using LE-Versions/ Ableton Live Lite. So I'd recommend it as a standard-feature.

Maybe I'm missing a new function, otherwise, consider it a strong user-wish.

PrimeSeq

Post by PrimeSeq » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:18 pm

It's a great shame this feature is not implemented - one comment on this topic is asking for it over 4 years ago. I know there is Chord and Scale Fold etc. and of course various Max4Live devices and you have Captain Chord and other plug-ins...

BUT - if only Ableton could offer a FL Studio like piano roll - we would not have to use Chord or Scale Fold etc. or various Max4Live devices or Captain Chord or other plug-ins...

Ableton, in my view, is the very best DAW of its class - BUT it really could do with a more feature rich piano roll with scale / mode lock built in.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:51 pm

If you want to fingerpaint with notes, fine. But don’t couch this as a learning feature. Scales and chords aren’t that hard and there’s information readily available.