GUI

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
VenTon

GUI

Post by VenTon » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:06 am

hi guys. always loved Live. been using it since version 2 but was testing already at version 1. version 9.5 has a simpler to die for but...

...i left you guys recently for Presonus Studio One (as many of other people begin to do). it doesn't matter how much i love Live. i'm also a graphics designer and i can't stand the GUI anymore. i think a DAW of this magnitude should at least give it's owners a choice. it's amazing that after so many years i need to hack my Live to change the colors because the given choices are quite terrible for a professional DAW.

please do consider making some kind of "skin" option or at least an alternative and i'll be running back like an orphan would to his newly found mom, because my productions just doesn't sound good to my ears through my eyes :(

AlexGodbehere

Re: GUI

Post by AlexGodbehere » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:52 pm

If you're switching DAW (Digital AUDIO Workstation) because of the way it looks, you're doing it wrong. Live's workflow is second to none. I'd recommend focusing on the things that matter.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:56 pm

You have different skins available in the Preferences...
Ableton Forum Moderator

F34TH3R

Post by F34TH3R » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:12 pm

Yeah there's like 8 skins in preferences. One of them actually kinda looks like studio one...
F34TH3R

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:46 pm

Monolake, that's the one I use.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
Inner Portal Studio - Professional Audio Mastering

ChironControl

Post by ChironControl » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:22 pm

AlexGodbehere wrote:If you're switching DAW (Digital AUDIO Workstation) because of the way it looks, you're doing it wrong. Live's workflow is second to none. I'd recommend focusing on the things that matter.
I couldn't agree more with that! When I've started with live a few years ago, I didn't like the design - but now I appreciate the simplicity which makes it more save using it live. Having a workflow which makes it easy to run in a live situation - that is something which wouldn't be possible with fancy looking black knobs etc.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:34 pm

VenTon wrote:hi guys. always loved Live. been using it since version 2 but was testing already at version 1. version 9.5 has a simpler to die for but...

...i left you guys recently for Presonus Studio One (as many of other people begin to do). it doesn't matter how much i love Live. i'm also a graphics designer and i can't stand the GUI anymore. i think a DAW of this magnitude should at least give it's owners a choice. it's amazing that after so many years i need to hack my Live to change the colors because the given choices are quite terrible for a professional DAW.

please do consider making some kind of "skin" option or at least an alternative and i'll be running back like an orphan would to his newly found mom, because my productions just doesn't sound good to my ears through my eyes :(

Ableton does make small enhancements to their GUI.

Version 9 they made some Subtle changes which improved the look. 9.5 even made some more slight changes with more waveform resolution. They pretty much already have skins (which allows the color scheme of Live to be changed), although many of them focus on the color gray. I think other folks make color schemes you can import into Live as well.

That said many folks love Ableton's GUI. IMO, I think Ableton has a very functional GUI and usually when I want a different mood, the built-in skin choices tends to provide them. I think their look is fine and can't think of much improvement.

anyon

Post by anyon » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:47 am

VenTon wrote: ...i left you guys recently for Presonus Studio One (as many of other people begin to do). it doesn't matter how much i love Live. i'm also a graphics designer and i can't stand the GUI anymore. i think a DAW of this magnitude should at least give it's owners a choice. it's amazing that after so many years i need to hack my Live to change the colors because the given choices are quite terrible for a professional DAW.
As a ui/ux/visual designer I found Studio One 3 much less intuitive than Live. There is no way to know what coloured box with text (or icon) is a button and what is a label/title. I just couldn't bring myself to use it.

Live is also flat but it is much more clear because they have unified styles for ui elements.

It has some great features though, but I think they wen't too over the top with the flat aesthetic in the latest update. Their plugin directory with thumbnails of the plugins is excellent! I would love it if Live would feature something similar in the future.

I'm not saying Live's UI is perfect. It could need a serious facelift, but I wouldn't say Studio One is nicer.