Set default note duration for Push melodic step sequencer

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
ObtuseMoose

Set default note duration for Push melodic step sequencer

Post by ObtuseMoose » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:42 pm

In Push's melodic step sequencing mode, I can use the Scene/Grid buttons to set how many notes per measure I want. However, for each setting, new notes sustain for the full duration of their time slot in the measure. E.g. if I pick 4 notes per measure by hitting the 1/4 button, each note entered sustains for a full beat.

I would like to be able to set a default sustain time for each note that is independent of the grid setting. For example, if I have the 1/4 grid selected, I would like to be able to tell Live/Push that each note entered should only sustain for the time of a 1/16 note. If we were talking about a hardware step sequencer, I'd be wanting to change the gate time.

I know I can alter the length of individual notes by holding a pad and using an encoder, but this is tedious to do for every note in a sequence with many steps.

I could also use a finer grid setting and skip every N steps between notes, but this gets unwieldy for things like 1/32 notes on a 1/4 note grid.

As for a UI for this, perhaps holding shift + a scene/grid button could be used to set the default duration of notes. E.g. I want 4 notes per measure, so I enter melodic step sequencing mode and hit the 1/4 grid button. I want each note to be a 1/16 note, so I hold shift and hit the 1/16 grid button. Then I enter my notes as usual.

--
Moose
"all the musical ability of a blocked nostril"