SCENE ( container ) PROPERTIES ?

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
KLAustinTX

SCENE ( container ) PROPERTIES ?

Post by KLAustinTX » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:48 pm

Having a quick and elegant means of 'comping' ... love it. You do this in spades...almost. I notice that all video and tutorials do a great job of banging out a 4/4 texture in a keysig. nice. almost.

composition changes. keysig, tempo, meter. Perhaps "scene" means something different to me. What all these tutorials are doing is compositionally known as "theme and varations". If I were to pile up all these tutorials, all different compositions (themes+vars) and "walk through" each one, I am changing scenes.

I propose another layer option where a 'scene' is generated as a container in and of itself with mapped properties like TEMPO, METER, KEYSIG. This would allow real-time thematic changes. The single-motive guys act just as they do now, with their one-keysig-assigned scale, and all that. Guys with thematic transformation can hop between scenes to get different keys, assigned-scale, tempo, etc.

Imagine it like Excel. the current 'session view' is like a single worksheet (Rows and Colums). My concept merely becomes Sheet2, Sheet3, etc.

~KLAustinTX

c016smith

Re: SCENE ( container ) PROPERTIES ?

Post by c016smith » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:20 pm

Hey there KLAustinTX - you've brought up a great point that often the composition can be more complex than a single track that remains in the same tempo or time signature.

Just making sure you know, if you rename a scene in Ableton with the following information it will actually change the time signature and bpm for you automatically when the scene is launched.

So scene 1, unlabeled will just follow the master clock... let's say it's 4/4 and 120bpm.
Launch scene 2 (also unlabeled), it will trigger all clips in the row and will remain at 4/4 and 120bpm.

Launch scene 3 (renamed to "Scene 3 epic shift 125bpm") and voila it's still 4/4 but now 125bpm.

Launch scene 4 (renamed to "breakdown change of pace 6/4") and now it will remain 125 bpm but switch up to 6/4 time sig.

If you were to relaunch scene 1 (becuase it's unlabeled) then your scene 1 clips will be at 125 bpm and 6/4, so you have to plan accordingly (maybe make sure each scene is coded in the name with bpm and TS?).

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/sessi ... and-scenes this shows how it works in the manual, but a fun and very helpful way to automate the change-up.

Still... I'd like to see Ableton create a 'parameter' envelope for other scene-based changes that might not be ideal for putting everything in the Scene Name. Just sayin. :) Hope that helps you.