Ableton Notes: a comment system

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Tektree

Ableton Notes: a comment system

Post by Tektree » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:01 pm

Hi,
This feature would provide a really good way to keep track of works in progress, and would really help with organization. I know that organization can be a really big deal for any particularly long or complicated project. Ableton is also rich and complex enough that it can be very hard to collaborate via email/dropbox, and this feature would make that significantly easier.

What I propose is that right under the clip overview we have the option to show a second timeline: the NOTES Bar. This is Part 1 in the illustration below. It looks a lot like the clip overview. Additionally, you have another box at the bottom of your screen, lets call it the Notes Box. When you right-click (or control-click) on a clip, a selection, or a spot in your arrangement, your menu now has a "New Note" option. If you select that, the note shows up in the Notes Bar at the top of the screen, and you can edit that note in the Notes Box. Visual space and clutter is another big problem for Ableton, so you should be able to turn all of this on or off in the View menu.

As you can see from the illustration, there is a colored line indicating the length of each note (if the note was created on a lengthy selection, loop, or clip in the arrangement). As you move or play through the arrangement, whatever notes apply to the position you are at are displayed in the notes box. They should probably automatically number themselves in chronological order, I would think.

Anyway, I think this would be a really great tool. I know nothing about how complicated it would be for Ableton to produce, but I think that it would be very easy to use. It is also an expandable idea. Maybe you have the option to choose what color a given note is. Maybe you could make it possible for the user to tell Ableton to automatically set a note under certain conditions, say have your limiter print out a note whenever it hits beyond a certain point.

Pretty cool, huh?

Tarekith

Re: Ableton Notes: a comment system

Post by Tarekith » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:05 pm

You can already sorta do this. If you add locators to your arrange page, in important locations of course, you can right click on one and choose "edit info text". This will Iet you add your own custom notes to the help pane, it's just located on the left of the screen where as you wanted it on the right.

Either way, when ever you click on that locator, you can see the notes you specified for it, just like you ask. You can Edit the Info text of many areas of Live FWIW, it's something a lot of people don't seem to know about.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:33 pm

Tarekith wrote: You can Edit the Info text of many areas of Live FWIW, it's something a lot of people don't seem to know about.
To be fair even when you know the feature, and add a note, then reopen that set some time later - you are going to need telepathy to know if there's a note anywhere in the set!

If they'd just have made the final 5% and put an indicator dot on elements with notes, that would have made this a useful feature.
Initially these notes were searched by the browser search and they showed up in the infobox when you hovered over a browser item. But then the browser was "updated" and this facility died.

ChironControl

Post by ChironControl » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:16 pm

Angstrom wrote:
Tarekith wrote: You can Edit the Info text of many areas of Live FWIW, it's something a lot of people don't seem to know about.
To be fair even when you know the feature, and add a note, then reopen that set some time later - you are going to need telepathy to know if there's a note anywhere in the set!

If they'd just have made the final 5% and put an indicator dot on elements with notes, that would have made this a useful feature.
Initially these notes were searched by the browser search and they showed up in the infobox when you hovered over a browser item. But then the browser was "updated" and this facility died.
Yes, any kind of indicator would make the existing feature usable.