VST3

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
Rudolf

VST3

Post by Rudolf » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:29 pm

I am hoping ABLETON is not going the way of Song ACID by not keeping up with Plugin development, (by the lack of VST3 support). SONY decided to not upgrade Acid 7 and now it sells at BEST BUY for $30. It is obvious that plugin development is always going to evolve. Apparently, Ableton is not. Melodyne 4 is VST3 and not usable in LIVE. REVOX is VST3. Both these plugins are very important for various types of "PRO" production. Yet ABLETON will not let us know it's plans. Why? Company valuation? It doesn't look good for the future of ABLETON and we who love this platform are being forced to jump ship. We have been complaining about this for over a year, more really. What say you ABLETON? Is it over?

S4racen

Re: VST3

Post by S4racen » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:01 pm

Massive over-reaction.... /endof

Cheers
D

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:05 pm

Ableton Live
We have tested the latest versions of Melodyne 4 with the following configurations:
Live 9.2 (64-bit) under Windows 7, 8.1, OS X 10.9.5 and 10.10.3
http://www.celemony.com/en/melodyne/edi ... al-matters

However, VST3 would be useful.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:31 pm

Although Ableton are dragging their feet on VST 3 support, I think they are overall doing fine as a company.

They are still in this game for the long run. They have just gave us a great update with the Simpler plug-ins and what not.

I'm guessing they are waiting to put this in version 10 but who knows.

Once key players such as NI convert over to VST 3 though, I'll bet Ableton will follow suit.

I'm guessing that implementing VST 3 properly isn't easy especially if they want to take advantage of the advanced routing and idled CPU management features (the latter of which probably affects live performance).

chronicshake

Post by chronicshake » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:41 pm

I won't lie, I'm a little butthurt that Ableton doesn't have VST3. But I love Ableton - I've tried other stuff and competition is just clunky to use in comparison. But I do kind of wish that there were some "under the hood" functions in Ableton. I don't know how they'd make VST3 work but if there was a way to set up/test re-wire and other sources without things just "clicking" then that'd be super cool. Maybe a "strip silence" feature hidden in there... Just a handful of "under the hood" things that I'd use only once in a blue moon and wouldn't detract from Ableton's intuitive nature.

There's just some tasks that I'd be more inclined to just use another DAW to do because Ableton can't deliver. Bands are a thing but I have tracked entire live sessions solely into Ableton and have gotten good results but sometimes it leaves you wondering. But to really get up in a mix's shit, especially when worrying about my phase coherent stuff, I find a little to be desired. I've been using older programs for such tasks but I'm thinking about snagging Cubase 8.5 Artist to handle these moments where Ableton doesn't hang without shelling out a ton for some other things.

For the record, I got hung up on this with a band's project I was doing where I thought, "Could it be better?" I spent a day obsessing, came back in, and it was fine. Ableton's holding it's own. Just I opened one of my projects and was just grateful to have Ableton rolling right. 9.5+ is what I've wanted for years.

LFO8

Post by LFO8 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:23 pm

If they are not going to support VST3 then at least let them come up with a better way to utilise the sidechain inputs of 3rd party plugins.

For instance; if I want to use Fabfilter Pro-C on a pad and have Pro-C be side-chained by the kick drum then I would have to, either duplicate the kick drum track and have its output sent to the side-chain input of Pro-C or I could set up an audio track to receive the audio from the kick drum track, set monitoring to in and then have the output of THAT track sent to the side-chain input of Pro-C.

I hope I am not the only one that finds this a major pain in the tuches.
ImageAsylum Sound Music and Sound Design

Monchai

Post by Monchai » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:43 am

Lfo8
Use autopan instead, it's easy and don't have to set the side-chain. Imo can give even more pumpimng fx than side chain

LFO8

Post by LFO8 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:05 pm

It's not about getting a pumping effect. The side-chain example I gave was just 1 practical example (out of many) of why one would use the side-chain input. The problem is that I want to be able to use the 3rd party plugins side-chain inputs without going through all the steps I described.
ImageAsylum Sound Music and Sound Design

Street Spirit

Post by Street Spirit » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:25 am

LFO8 wrote:It's not about getting a pumping effect. The side-chain example I gave was just 1 practical example (out of many) of why one would use the side-chain input. The problem is that I want to be able to use the 3rd party plugins side-chain inputs without going through all the steps I described.

Just route kick to what you want to s/c. then use a retun track to activate kick drum. ie turn up send with out anything on the return. Its easier than making dummy tracks. But i get what you mean. Live could make it less a hassle. I use this way with Wave Arts trac plug s/c version, will work the same with any s/c plugin.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:12 am

Rudolf wrote:I am hoping ABLETON is not going the way of Song ACID by not keeping up with Plugin development, (by the lack of VST3 support). SONY decided to not upgrade Acid 7 and now it sells at BEST BUY for $30. It is obvious that plugin development is always going to evolve. Apparently, Ableton is not. Melodyne 4 is VST3 and not usable in LIVE. REVOX is VST3. Both these plugins are very important for various types of "PRO" production. Yet ABLETON will not let us know it's plans. Why? Company valuation? It doesn't look good for the future of ABLETON and we who love this platform are being forced to jump ship. We have been complaining about this for over a year, more really. What say you ABLETON? Is it over?
Updated responses Subject: VST3 Support!
Make some music!