Vertical Consolidation

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
mylkoa

Vertical Consolidation

Post by mylkoa » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:11 pm

Hello Ableton Wizards!

You probably understand what I'm asking for... and it probably already crossed your minds, but I thought I would create a formal request...

Vertical Consolidation capability....

For example...a fast way to merge two or more MIDI tracks, that have MIDI data that could fit on onto one track. For example, if I record the MIDI clips for a drum rack, with my Kicks on one track, my hi-hats on another, and then want to consolidate them...

I know that I can use real-time record overdub to circumvent this issue, but it would be more efficient to be able to do it with a few clicks.

Thanks, and keep up the great work!

monkeyEcho

Re: Vertical Consolidation

Post by monkeyEcho » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:51 am

I was pretty sure that you can expand a drumrack to its different instruments and than drag the midi clips to these lanes... but well, I was wrong, this is not possible. I was sure because you can do it the other way around: If your having a single midi clip with different instruments in it, you can use the "extract chain" command on the drum rack's single instrument lanes to create an additional midi clip with only this specific single instrument in it. This command even deletes the chosen single instrument from the orginal midi clip. Nice.

But what we want here is the opposite direction.
It would be awesome to have special drag-and-drop feature like dragging with Alt-key pressed and when you drop one midi clip onto another both are merged into a single midi clip with all the information from both clips.
Or an "include Chain" command analog to the "extract chain" mentioned above.

I give it +1 or more :)

ninja8618

Post by ninja8618 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:42 am

+1 from me ... i am here following the old forum thread -- the term vertical consolidation explains it perfectly!

hgmtt

Post by hgmtt » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:42 am

+1, this would be very helpful.

For example, I have a perc loop and a MIDI drum track using a drum rack; it would be excellent to be able to consolidate these so that I can save them together as a single midi clip and recall it for later projects

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:28 am

You can do it with this and maxforlive...

http://isotonikstudios.com/chaos-cultur ... ip-editor/

Cheers
D

mylkoa

Post by mylkoa » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:58 pm

Thanks for being such a great contributor to the forum, S4racen!

mylkoa

Post by mylkoa » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:04 pm

monkeyEcho wrote:If your having a single midi clip with different instruments in it, you can use the "extract chain" command on the drum rack's single instrument lanes to create an additional midi clip with only this specific single instrument in it. This command even deletes the chosen single instrument from the orginal midi clip. Nice.
Great tip, thanks!

Fowa

Post by Fowa » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:04 pm

+1

RudiKylypso

Post by RudiKylypso » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:28 pm

:idea: 3 ableton users currently in studio - totally agree this would be a great feature to add. Arrange view - Hold shift or alt and drag midi over another to merge clips.

SIK <3

marchseventh

Post by marchseventh » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:30 am

I'm wondering why Ableton Live doesn't offer this feature.Since this is so important working flow that we always need to split or merge multi music parts from/to one/diferent tracks.
This feature is normal for other DAWs I think. Or if there is other way to not need to split or merge tracks. I will learn.

For me now. I always working in the arrange view. I created a drum kit in one track. For mixing reason. I have to split them to diferent tracks. So I duplicated the track to few tracks then delete notes which not belong to each track.

Then I found that I have merge them back to one track because I have to print drum kit sheet via Sibelius. If I copy and paste, the most difficulty is to locate the selection position when switching tracks. In Pro Tools you can just hit P or ; key to move the selection position vertical .

+1

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:25 am

S4racen wrote:You can do it with this and maxforlive...

http://isotonikstudios.com/chaos-cultur ... ip-editor/

Cheers
D
I wasn't aware of that function. Multiclip Editor is now on my "must get"-list.

I need this as I prefer to treat every drum group individually, with different clips, with their own groove file, their own length, the same sends as all other tracks have and in some songs I like to fuse back the resulting MIDI to clips in one track, so drum timing software can drive the programmed drums from one place.
Make some music!

siraltitude

Post by siraltitude » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:23 am

Since the keys are the same on both drum pads, drag the instrument(s) to the full key arrangement (to the left of the pad) and drop it in the previous or next key(s).

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:38 am

siraltitude wrote:Since the keys are the same on both drum pads, drag the instrument(s) to the full key arrangement (to the left of the pad) and drop it in the previous or next key(s).
I don't see how this can fuse two MIDI clips. Care to elaborate how you mean?
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:42 am

The only workaround I've found is copy paste. See details here: Subject: Clips: Paste in time?
Make some music!