Note editor TimeLine. Should start with 0 . Not with 1 .

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Radarblue

Note editor TimeLine. Should start with 0 . Not with 1 .

Post by Radarblue » Mon May 16, 2016 6:38 pm

In the Note editor or Audio editor window for that matter. The TIMELINE on the windowframe is starting to count bars from number 1. That results in when 16 beats have passed the marker stops at the indication of 17. And its very confusing. Making a loop at 4 bars. one needs to put the loop markers at "window timeframe reference" 1 and 5. And this is for all the sequencers, I have tested ...

The window timeline should read. 0 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 ->
Making a loop of 4 bars will then have the markers between the windowframe timeline 0-4.
Its particulaerly frustrating in the 64 bars. ... Then its like do I have to add one or subtract a beat, to get the timeline to add to "Common sense". In the case of a 64 bar loop. the Markers needs to enclose Timeframe references 1 - 65 .

there is a strange science that between 5 points there are 4 lenghts ! And between 2 points there is 1 lenght :)

Ken.

Idonotlikebroccoli

Re: Note editor TimeLine. Should start with 0 . Not with 1 .

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Wed May 18, 2016 5:43 pm

Looking at various DAWs' piano rolls, 1 seems to be the standard starting point.

I think the main problem is the placement of the numbers. Most DAWs have left-aligned numbers, but I think centered looks more intuitive:

(Picture: LMMS's piano roll)

Mage2k

Post by Mage2k » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:56 pm

Er, no. Measure (and beat) numbers do not *measure* the amount of bars they have passed. They note where they start. This is the same for staff music and other forms of non-computer-only music (where 0-based numbering would be for an entirely different reason than yours). 1.1.1 on the far left at the start of clip is a label for where that position in the timeline is. Trying to use these as where that position has finished would get really confusing once you start tying to notate finer, off-beat positions (i.e. 4.2.3).

Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:26 pm

agree with magek

music doesnt start with zero. it starts with the first beat of the first bar..:)

There are advantages in a linear arranged DAW for measures less than 1 for pre-roll for video sync or midi sync and pick-up notes, but this is not common even in those cases.