Ableton 10 suggestions

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
miekwave

Re: Ableton 10 suggestions

Post by miekwave » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:11 pm

H20nly wrote:@ miekwave, can you describe in a little more detail how this Ableton Server idea works?
In a Nutshell
a. Open Ableton (main)
b. Open Ableton (server only instance)
c. Open project on Ableton (main)
d. Samples/VSTs/etc are automatically loaded into into Ableton (server)
e. Open any project file instantly on Ableton (main)
f. Ableton Server maintains samples and VST instance 0 load time

Basicially, Ableton server would allow you to open projects with 0 load time because your samples, vsts, audio assets, etc are already loaded into RAM. Even with SSD it still takes a long timme to open switch projects that use the same 30GB sample set.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:39 pm

so the Server is a client application on the PC?

i think you are implying it is hosted on the local machine, NOT cloud based... is this correct?

curiousdan

Post by curiousdan » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:13 pm

Vertical zoom in arrangement mode, so clips can become higher/thicker, Cubase style. (still love Live, will never go back).

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:44 pm

H20nly wrote:so the Server is a client application on the PC?

i think you are implying it is hosted on the local machine, NOT cloud based... is this correct?
Mostly correct. Basically I have lots of projects that are 16+GB. It takes a while to open those projects. I am annoyed that I have to wait to open the same exact sample set each time because I already have the same set loaded into ram. With Ableton server instance, I can open a 16GB project instantly because all my samples are already loaded in the Server instance and into ram.

Ableton Server Solutions:
1. Load sample set only one time (~2-4 seconds per 1 GB or ~1-3 minutes for 16GB, ~2-6 minutes for 32gb, ~4-12 minutes for 64gb)
2. Open as many projects as you want with 0 load time
3. Can be configured on client or on slave system via ethernet or rednet.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:53 pm

i can see where you're going with that, but there would have to be thresholds set. so for instance if you have a PC with 16 GB of RAM, how much is for Live and how much is for Ableton Server? and what about the OS, etc?? doesn't this mean that at most Live could use around 6 maybe 7 GB of RAM (and less for Ableton Server) because anything more would create an imbalance?

so, aren't we then cutting into the amount of available RAM Live can use by spreading the pool across two Ableton applications?

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:42 am

H20nly wrote:i can see where you're going with that, but there would have to be thresholds set. so for instance if you have a PC with 16 GB of RAM, how much is for Live and how much is for Ableton Server? and what about the OS, etc?? doesn't this mean that at most Live could use around 6 maybe 7 GB of RAM (and less for Ableton Server) because anything more would create an imbalance?

so, aren't we then cutting into the amount of available RAM Live can use by spreading the pool across two Ableton applications?
This specific application would only applicable if you typically use 8gb or more of samples.

Example, if I have a 16GB system, I might want to load Kontakt Ultimate 10, OIC Collection and EWQL Hollywood Orchestra into the server, and use 10GB. The 10GB server would host only the most common patches I use in almost all my projects. This allows ~1.5gb for OS and ~1.5gb for Ableton with 3GB of ram headroom for additional project stuff, like freezing tracks and stems to RAM which allows about 6 Hours of stem content to be frozen to ram at 48k/24.

RAM Usage Calculator:
mono stem
48k/24 is ~520 MB RAM per hour of stems or samples frozen to ram
96k/24 is ~1040 MB RAM per hour of stems or samples frozen to ram

stereo stem
48k/24 is ~1040 MB RAM per hour of stems or samples frozen to ram
96k/24 is ~2080 MB RAM per hour of stems or samples frozen to ram

You can make a "Fake" Ableton Server by opening Ableton (x64) and Ableton (x86) as seperate processes:
In (x64) - load all the samples
In (x32) - run audio/midi to and from the x64 instance (with limitations) by hacking MIDI OX, MIDI YOLK to cross talk different programs and and hack VIRTUAL PATCH CABLES to send receive between different DAWs.

The problem however lies in that I have to use ASIO4ALL and it's patching system for multiple VIRTUAL PATCH CABLES is prone to error, such as I/O BUS1-2 being different each time you open ableton iwth ASIO4ALL. I do not know how to hack this into my native audio interface at this time.

So basicially, Ableton Server would allow you to use the same MIDI/AUDIO pathing without hacking MIDIOX/MIDI YOLK and your soundcards into ASIO4ALL

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:29 pm

8)

PusheeLive

Post by PusheeLive » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:25 pm

Basically Vienna Ensemble Pro but native in Live, that would be cool.

A basic universal key command to Solo & Mute tracks, simple but super useful.
Any track i have selected
shift+S (Solo)
shift+M (Mute)

Like everyone has said Multi Clip Editing, but with a 3D view option similar concept to waveforms in Serum, i doubt Live would do this due to CPU load but maybe as an alternative option.

Groups within groups

Drum racks Sub Clips, when expanding in the mixer tab, in each channel have the clips separated (Sub Clips).
Example
Kick, Snare, Hihat on 1 Midi track - 1 Clip
Expand track - 3 Clips on each channel of drum rack
You can edit each sub clip separate, timing, envelopes etc.

Melodyne integration to pitch/tune audio

Better video implementation for scoring, timecode, codecs etc.

octavious

Post by octavious » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:35 am

I just want propper Comping FFS!

Monchai

Post by Monchai » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:21 am

Already post this on separate thread but I thought it make sense for L10 suggestion too

My situation: I have created a lot of 8 bar MIDI ALC file with VSTi/FX setting, save them in browser for later use. Now when I want to just scratch out musical idea, it would be great if I can supposedly option click and drag that very file and have the audio output clip load into a slot in Session View without wasting the whole column. The procedure for outputting the audio from MIDI track is already possible with Freeze function, it just gonna get a lot easier if it can be done from browser as well.

I hope someone out there gets what Im trying suggest.

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:15 am

Solid optimization, something like the DP9 Pre-gen engine and a reduced host buffer latency.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

District_Onagi

Post by District_Onagi » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:02 pm

Not Complicated but would make a huge impact to hip hop producers and really anyone using multiple Samples in Drum Racks

https://youtu.be/hGPqtJMfUwU?t=4m19s

Fuzel

Post by Fuzel » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:25 pm

Native LFOs.

As many as you want and assignable to anything you want - whether it be Live's own effects and synths to any MIDI control on a 3rd party VST.

rtroost

Post by rtroost » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:33 pm

Five things:

- fix track midi so aftertouch and channel info does not get stripped.
- expose everything in looper to the api so we can programatically move clips in and out of looper
- stability! Crashes are rare but there are definitely memory leaks and interrupt handling bugs lurking within.
- audio comping like logic or PT. Honestly its the only reason i use logic. Live sucks at comping.

And

IOS version!!!! Buy iConnectivity and sell amazing HW+SW solutions to control and integrate EVERYTHING.

Heh. Ive been lurking here for more than 5 years and this is my first post.

mcclaine

Post by mcclaine » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:13 pm

- Multiple midi editing
- Chord Tracks (like Cubase 8)
- Chord Assistant
- Native Melodyne
- Native wav editor