Ableton 10 suggestions

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Don Grubius

Re: Ableton 10 suggestions

Post by Don Grubius » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:37 pm

I would love the ability to to "hide and make inactive" certain tracks. When I load up my template, I don't always use the amount of tracks that I have set up, so instead of deleting them, Id like to utilize a feature that Pro Tools has.

Riggs_df

Post by Riggs_df » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:13 pm

1. An option to pre-determine length of audio sample before recording.

For example... If I'm wanting to record a guitar loop and I'm using my launchpad or APC to launch the record start, if I only want a 4 bar loop, it means stopping playing somewhere between the 4th and 5th bar to then push the pad to finish the recording so it loops, resulting in the end of the performance being missing or rushed and sounding terrible. If we didn't have to worry about that second button press and could carry on playing until it looped round, this would open up a lot of new possibilities. As with the idea of adding an empty MIDI clip into session view and then overdubbing say a keyboard part into it and after the set amount of bars of the part it automatically loops... an option to be able to pre-determine the length of an audio recording loop would be great.

2. The option to export as mp3.

3. The ability to bounce/embed fx directly onto audio samples.

I think having a drop down menu when you right click on an audio sample in the session view that brings up both the list of stock plugins and third party plugins with the ability to then edit the parameters and bounce/consolidate the effect directly onto the sample would help us live performers out a lot. When building live sets in session view and needing just a little eq or reverb on a certain sample, its quite a long process and a flow breaker to have to take the audio sample into the arrangement view, find the effect, tweak parameters, freeze, flatten and re-add into the session view. This would be a great addition!

Obviously, there is the option to freeze and flatten the sample in session view already, but if you have a lot of different samples on the same channel for different songs, it means moving all of the other sounds out of that channel before going through the processing for just that one sound.

(It would be great to have this option in arrange view as well.)
Riggs (dharkfunkh)

Sound Designer @ www.zenhiser.com
Producer / Live Act / DJ @ www.dharkfunkh.net

My New 29GB House & Tech Sample Pack Is Available Now:
www.zenhiser.com/insomnia-sessions-samples-loops.html

Riggs_df

Post by Riggs_df » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:18 pm

... and also, to be able to add sub groups inside of a group would be very cool.
Riggs (dharkfunkh)

Sound Designer @ www.zenhiser.com
Producer / Live Act / DJ @ www.dharkfunkh.net

My New 29GB House & Tech Sample Pack Is Available Now:
www.zenhiser.com/insomnia-sessions-samples-loops.html

S-N-S

Post by S-N-S » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:22 pm

i Really hope Ableton steps up and add ALOT of the features thats been asked for by users the last years,at one time Live was really innovative,but now it seems they are falling behind a great deal.

but im sure they have some good stuff in version 10(fingers crossed)

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:16 pm

I'm really very happy with Live 9. I only feel limited when I get more complex ideas going, need to change chords, and I can't view multiple MIDI clips at once. Isotonik's solution takes away some of the pain, but I'd much rather have a native implementation. Also, the pitch bend bug just makes me wanna cry.

Here's my list from page 1, with the ones in bold being the really essential ones for me:
Idonotlikebroccoli wrote:I would like almost everything on page 1 of top voted at Centercode:

Grouping within a group
Edit Multiple Midi-Clips
In-clip audio editing
Freeze and Flatten side-chained tracks
Bounce in Place
Tagging plug-ins by category
Comping tool
MP3 export
Automation snap to Grid
More than 8 macros
Graphics Elements compensation
EQ8 Linear mode / dynamic eq + More Filter Slope options for EQ8.
chord Identification in piano roll
custom keyboard shortcuts
Undo after save!
Add more curves for automations

Not from top voted page 1:

Chase MIDI notes (being able to play from middle of MIDI note)
Native modulation (LFO, envelope generator, etc.)
Being able to adjust knobs of automated parameters
Type automation values with keyboard
Clip background colour in arrangement view
More MIDI editing tools (split, click+drag draw, strum, etc)
Double-click to create MIDI clips in arrangement view
Plugin sandbox (crash protection)
Show/hide tracks
Inline piano roll in arrangement view

And have pitch bend reset to 0! Shit's driving me mad: SUG-0986: make it so Pitch Bend in MIDI clip modulation does not get stuck on old values

jeff cox

Post by jeff cox » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:20 am

would defo be in favour of the integrated Melodyne (Logic & Cubase have this functionality native)
also the freeze just the plugin synth/sampler and leave the FX (but should be optional)
sub groups (I know you can create an audio channel and route group into it but would be nicer to create groups within groups)
freeze more than 1 group at a time, at present I can only freeze tracks within one group, but I find when I get to the stage of freezing tracks I typically tend to do 3-4 groups at that time.
thanks

stereodrive

Post by stereodrive » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:00 pm

Jbvdb wrote:I/O naming! Yes!
+1!!!!
Mac Studio (2022)
Apple M1 Max
32 GB Ram
14.3.1 Sonoma

eclipxe

Post by eclipxe » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:16 pm

Push 2: Build instruments from the device, including from a Drum Rack

16 Levels for Pitch in Drum Rack

More copy/paste/midi-clip editing features for Push

Chain controls on Push

Horselover Fat

Post by Horselover Fat » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:22 pm

Points 1 to 7 in this post, please: viewtopic.php?p=1712556#p1712556
Otherwise control of 3rd party devices stays an unreliable hassle that is in the way of an effective workflow.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:08 pm

S-N-S wrote:i Really hope Ableton steps up and add ALOT of the features thats been asked for by users the last years,at one time Live was really innovative,but now it seems they are falling behind a great deal.
BS
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:10 pm

Riggs_df wrote: 2. The option to export as mp3.
This is so unnecessary. Learn to operate easy to find software that can do MP3 and som many more formats and stop imposing trivial feature requests on Ableton.

Live should remain a Pro Studio Application and not cater to hobbyists!
Make some music!

Jabbon

Post by Jabbon » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:55 pm

Assuming that in a dream world, marketing issues are ging to be secondary, and premising that Live is still a great product-
I would love Abe 10 to be a 10 fingers multitouch hardware in 3D.
(I understand though that too many users feel richer in content if they can access the software thinking they are using an "analog style" thingy)

Tracks in session view are in 2d, but you could eventually swipe the interface and see the progression of thw waveform in 3D, plus a direct representation of the spectra at that moment in time...
All spectral morphing, where one can directly intervene on the spectral content of the waveform with a finger!

In the meanwhile,
1) bigger GUI for triggering clips for multitouch
2) a better GUI overall for multitouch
3) instead of knobs the use of multilsiders/sliders, always optimized for touch
4) better CPU handling: I cannot believe that i7s latest generations have buffering/glith problems (partly because of Apple collapsing, indeed)
with buffer rates of 256 samps with just 8 tracks.
On Max I have 32 samps with no glitch and tons of things going on, and I am using Max as a comparison because the 2 worlds are indeed close (and I am only super happy!!!).
5) solving the scene launch issue (since L8 I have clicks when triggering a scene via GUI, even with 2 tracks - only solution:erasing all stop buttons).

I should say that algo-generation and so on is so well handled by Max that the combination of the 2 (L+M) indeed allow so many approaches that it can get confusing, but they are so amazing!

So yes, I would suggest strongly to Ableton that they should eye the future of computing, which is indeed changing, by delivering a Multitouch HW, and leave behind obsolete controlling principles such as Push (which is indeed a nice machine, but not in line with the times).

:D
sound spatialization content & technologies @ audit-orium.com

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:59 pm

Small, but sometimes needed: a panic button......
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:34 am

miyaru wrote:Small, but sometimes needed: a panic button......
Double-click the CPU read out in Live.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:38 am

Thanx for that!

Miyaru.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen: