Ableton DSP - Run all your Ableton Effects with 0% CPU

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
miekwave

Ableton DSP - Run all your Ableton Effects with 0% CPU

Post by miekwave » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:05 am

Imagine running dozens of instances of EQ8, Glue, Reverb (High Q), Delays, Amp, Cab, and all your favorite Ableton Effects racks with near 0% CPU.
Well, you can if there was a dedicated USB 3.0 DSP like UAD Satalite, but with ableton Plug Ins.

Why not make a 1U DSP with SKylane 4 core (up to 48 tracks) or Broadwell 8 core (up to 128 tracks) to free up CPU whose sole task is to run Native Ableton plug ins latency free <7ms

doghouse

Re: Ableton DSP - Run all your Ableton Effects with 0% CPU

Post by doghouse » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:57 pm

Bitwig is going to have that soon.

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:00 am

doghouse wrote:Bitwig is going to have that soon.
Link?

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:13 am

Nice idea, but I like to see a solid optimization before that. Something like the DP9 Pre-gen engine and a reduced host buffer latency.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:33 pm

I would much rather have a remote plugin hosting capability - i.e. buy a cheap micro PC (or several) and use that over a network to host some of your plugins.
It might be much more interesting to have the option to exploit your GPU(s) for running a plugin's DSP code - I don't suppose the average DAW/Plugin UIs exactly thrash your GPU :)

DPS cards tend to end up being very expensive not only to purchase initially, but later when you get held to random with time limited upgrade offers (that still end up very expensive) - yes - UAD - you lot!
The other reason I don't use DSP cards is the DSP resource limits the number of instances of the plugins I can run. Same reason I don't really like hardware synths and fx any more. Even the Virus TI (which is still one of my favourite synths for sound and programability) is a pain in the ass and would be much more useful as a plugin running on my mac/pc.
Nothing to see here - move along!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:52 am

Waves soundgrid is open for third party plug-ins that need to be made compatible.These run on dedicated hardware servers with low latency audio-over-ethernet and the entry point level is at PC box prices. I suppose Ableton could plugify their effetcs and instruments and solve licensing issues if they wanted to support this or something similar.
Make some music!

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:12 pm

Interesting.

However - point still stands - as soon as someone labels something as a DSP box in custom hardware - even though their extreme DSP box appears to be a cheap and ancient 4th gen i7 micro-pc stuff into rack box with linux and a waves badge on it it somehow manages to acquire a price tag that boosted by at least 400%.

The cost of that server might buy you 4 or 5 x 4Ghz skylake barebones micro systems.
Nothing to see here - move along!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:46 pm

Khazul wrote: The cost of that server might buy you 4 or 5 x 4Ghz skylake barebones micro systems.
I've contemplated that, but the work with license handling and solving latency issues makes a dedicated box attractive still. Setting up your own box takes time and time isn't free either.

RME should be build something like this.
Make some music!