Why does Ableton keep adding new features that no one wants?

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
ian_halsall

Re: Why does Ableton keep adding new features that no one wants?

Post by ian_halsall » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:02 pm

Here is something that is still missing - the ability to stretch the instrument and midi part editors vertically - maddening when you are working on a big simpler drum instrument...

studiojohnny

Post by studiojohnny » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:58 pm

Oh hey, an update. More obscure features for Push. What a surprise.

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:30 pm

...in fact awesome new features/improvements...!...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

interceptor

Post by interceptor » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:32 pm

Just wanted to say Im digging the new updates for Push. I´ve been using the beta for a while and noticed Im sampling my analog gear more now. Because it is so easy doing it through Push. Also fun!

I do some noodles on my analog synth. Record it, slice it. Then re-arrange it. Pure fun!

S-N-S

Post by S-N-S » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:44 pm

would defo love to see some of the features,requested in the feature forum,where you DONT need Push to be able to use them

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:46 pm

How many Push 2 updates before the haters go from hating to just going out and getting a Push 2?

In fact, maybe going forward express your outrage on missing features in the form of how they could be implemented as a Push 2 feature. Quit fighting it.

S-N-S

Post by S-N-S » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:51 pm

beats me wrote:How many Push 2 updates before the haters go from hating to just going out and getting a Push 2?

In fact, maybe going forward express your outrage on missing features in the form of how they could be implemented as a Push 2 feature. Quit fighting it.
i see yhere you getting at,but not everyone can afford getting the Push 2,if they have bought other controllers:)so getting some of the longly requested features for people not using push could be a good idea 2

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:33 pm

A Push 2 is about the same price as a new laptop in the 3rd world country in which I live, so it's quite an investment. The sort of thing where I'd have to be convinced I'd use it.

I'm not convinced that Push is targeted at me, or would work with what I do. It seems to be for a very different sort of person. Push seems to be targeted at an MPC "Dope Beats" person. I am not that person. I might be wrong - but Ableton advertise it that way. It's very popular I'm sure. But this does not appeal to me : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR5MuXIwZIw
Nor does this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CdMvkBOUgs

I want to make my own racks of synths and create sounds, to save them and then find them again. Everything I do is in the "user library" , everything I do is : layering synths and mapping them. As far as I know the Push is more about slicing a breakbeat up to pads and tapping on them, making some kind of hiphop - primarily with a bought pack from the Ableton shop.
this is the impression I have got from the advertising. That's all fine but I really cant see myself in that picture. Or certainly not enough to pay £600

That said : I'm happy for people who enjoy making music this way. Get a break beat, slice it to pads, make a "dope beat" etc.
I'm sure its a fine tool for that sort of thing and lots of fun.

login

Post by login » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:44 pm

Angstrom wrote:A Push 2 is about the same price as a new laptop in the 3rd world country in which I live, so it's quite an investment. The sort of thing where I'd have to be convinced I'd use it.

I'm not convinced that Push is targeted at me, or would work with what I do. It seems to be for a very different sort of person. Push seems to be targeted at an MPC "Dope Beats" person. I am not that person. I might be wrong - but Ableton advertise it that way. It's very popular I'm sure. But this does not appeal to me : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR5MuXIwZIw
Nor does this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CdMvkBOUgs

I want to make my own racks of synths and create sounds, to save them and then find them again. Everything I do is in the "user library" , everything I do is : layering synths and mapping them. As far as I know the Push is more about slicing a breakbeat up to pads and tapping on them, making some kind of hiphop - primarily with a bought pack from the Ableton shop.
this is the impression I have got from the advertising. That's all fine but I really cant see myself in that picture. Or certainly not enough to pay £600

That said : I'm happy for people who enjoy making music this way. Get a break beat, slice it to pads, make a "dope beat" etc.
I'm sure its a fine tool for that sort of thing and lots of fun.

Yeah, a controller couldn't fit everyone tastes and workflows.

I dont do sick beats, I like "composing" more and enjoy Push as a good control surface. yeah for a lot of sound design it falls short, but pretty much every controller does.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:36 pm

Angstrom wrote:A Push 2 is about the same price as a new laptop in the 3rd world country in which I live, so it's quite an investment. The sort of thing where I'd have to be convinced I'd use it.
Hey fellow old timer. Time for this old chestnut. Convert the current broken state of Live 9 to comparable 1990’s technology dollars. :wink:

But I do get it.

I don’t own a Push. I invest way too much money in equipment and software and yet my knowledge of most of it is relatively primitive probably because it’s all just mostly derivative with maybe a unique feature or 2. I somewhat scoffed at the Push 1, but as I see the expansion of Push 2 it looks like it really is a powerful and inspiring creation tool.

I also just realized something. Usually I’m somewhat embarrassed by my low music production knowledge in these crowds, especially considering how long I’ve been doing it, but I’m also not weighed down by a big list of demands on how I need things to work. Most of the time, anyway. :wink:

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:42 am

Calm down guys. Update for Push2 will cease when Live 10 is released. And then more update for Push 3 will come :lol:

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:09 am

Sounds like someone wants a Push really badly but Santa says it's just too much money.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:00 am

It sounds more like someone wants all Justin Beaver's CDs and vinyls really badly but Santa doesn't give up trying to give him Barry Manilow's concert ticket.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:13 pm

jestermgee wrote:Sounds like someone wants a Push really badly but Santa says it's just too much money.
Nah, I'm saying for the same price I could get a trombone .
My music might benefit from occasional Trombone, but it's not a pressing need for me. The regularity I need a Trombone is probably the same as I need to slice a breakbeat to pads and tap on them. Not regularly that's for sure. I'm in the minority of course.

For those who do regularly make the popular Trombone based music - this is a decent value Trombone, not too expensive and very useful.
But if a person very rarely makes Trombone Music then it's a bit too much money for an occasionally used bendy parp tube that will just lean against a wall.

I could speculatively buy a Trombone and see if it's more useful to me than I expected, but that's quite a weird thing to do with £600 unless I'm really going to start making Ska .

studiojohnny

Post by studiojohnny » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:51 pm

Well said. I wonder what percentage of Live users actually use stupid freaking Push. Anyone know? Can't be a lot. I wish Ableton would abandon it already and focus on software. They seriously are like a car company that's selling fancy rims while the car is missing wheels. Live still has major features lacking. Until those are added/fixed they should not be wasting time and resources on hardware.