Why does Ableton keep adding new features that no one wants?

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
AAdel

Re: Why does Ableton keep adding new features that no one wants?

Post by AAdel » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:58 pm

BTW, I like the way Ableton is going and it is: "Not being like every other DAW"
It somehow triggers creativity and maybe you should use some third party plugins for vocal comping!
Adel Al Agha ???? ?? ???
Singer, Music Producer & Trainer
https://radionama.com

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:12 am

Angstrom wrote:
jestermgee wrote:Sounds like someone wants a Push really badly but Santa says it's just too much money.
Nah, I'm saying for the same price I could get a trombone .
My music might benefit from occasional Trombone, but it's not a pressing need for me. The regularity I need a Trombone is probably the same as I need to slice a breakbeat to pads and tap on them. Not regularly that's for sure. I'm in the minority of course.

For those who do regularly make the popular Trombone based music - this is a decent value Trombone, not too expensive and very useful.
But if a person very rarely makes Trombone Music then it's a bit too much money for an occasionally used bendy parp tube that will just lean against a wall.

I could speculatively buy a Trombone and see if it's more useful to me than I expected, but that's quite a weird thing to do with £600 unless I'm really going to start making Ska .
It's alright Angstrom, Wasn't at you. You're normally a little more constructive. Though that argument there can be applied to anything we do... I own KU10 but when am I ever going to need West Africa Drums... possibly occasionally, so why should I even buy it when so much stuff will never/rarely be used by me? Because the other stuff is fun, useful and of value to me and who knows hen I may just click with something else and make something fantastic. Push is the same, I use it quite a lot (barely for looping stuff) but I still like to play actual keys so I have 2 keyboards too and some times I hardly ever touch Push, sometimes I tinker away on it for hours. It does bring elements to my workflow and fun factor I never had before.

Push isn't just for making loops and beats, get Maschine for that. It's a complete extension for Live and one of the things Push Users love is the fact it IS actively developed, supported (even P1) and further integrated into Live. Not saying other features and requests wouldn't be beneficial but I certainly wouldn't be bitching if a whole slew of updates came out that were not Push related, why that would be silly.

Also Ableton as a company operate the same as most larger development companies. Just like game developers there are different departments of development and you will see with certain releases there is a focus on certain aspects of the product. Graphics designers don't do motion capture coding which is why an update to a game may be all graphics in a version update when people still complain about weird character movement behaviour.

What people should be noticing by now is Live has not had a major version release for some time and current features are being enhanced and stabilized. Some of the beta releases go through a number of revisions before hitting the public so they are taking our feedback and actually improving things. I can bet you there is a team working on new features right now, many which have been asked for, that will be included as part of the next update (v10?). Until then expect the current software to simply be improved and tweaked in readiness and have some fun in the meantime.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:27 am

Yeah, I get that.
I'm not mad that they have developed a hardware wing ... and the Push has always seemed like a fun controller to me. I was only commenting that I doubt I could find a use for it. I know they would be totally insane to target users like me as a consumer, I think Push is a good idea for probably 75% of people using Live. It does what most people want.

I use several devices and I think I prefer it that way. My iPad, Launchpad, Foot controller, BCR, etc. - all work together as one unit with Launchsync. I'm sending more and more data over OSC to my iPad in order to provide a sort of HUD "perfomance interface" of what I need to see (current clip names, loop lengths, macro names, etc.) Obviously I can touch the data and send it back to Live from there. The iPad is a larger screen and touchable. As for parameter dials I use a BCR , with the ipad showing the values, and my foot controller can trigger clip recording when my hands are on keys.
Now, I bet Push is more robust than my system, but it also seems more focused on some very specific working practices. Prescriptive even. For example : The recent changes to Simpler were actually quite detrimental to me and I've had to stop using it.
So as much as I'd love to find a way to integrate Ableton's hardware product, I can only see myself making "Push" music on it.

Obviously other people enjoy it, and it's those people it is created for.

login

Post by login » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:31 pm

Push music... Just like guitar and Piano music, LOL

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:46 pm

login wrote:Push music... Just like guitar and Piano music, LOL
I'm sure you meant that sarcastically, but yes. Exactly that.

When I need to play something requiring a guitar fretboard then I'm going to use a fretted neck to play it. I'm just not going to play it the same on a keyboard.
And when I need to play something keyboard based I'm not going to get the same result by approximating it on a guitar.
That's not to say that Guitars, or Pianos or Pushes are bad, but they lend themselves to certain types of articulation.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:10 pm

All of the recent-ish additions and advancements to Simpler have been nothing short of stellar... I know they are very much "Wanted" by a number of live users. The OP thinks that if he doesn't want something, that means nobody else wants it either. What a bore.
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

dna598

Post by dna598 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:09 pm

I can't use slicing the way Ableton want me to, even though I have push 2. I can't do it their way. and I need to slice A LOT.
I'm not exaggerating when i say the prospect of slicing in Live fills me with dread.

I mean, I'm producing music, sitting back in a chair. Not performing.

My left hand is very happy where it is, which is poised on the qwerty most of the time. I don't want to break my concentration and go looking for the midi key in order to hear the slice I am looking at...

I just want to audition the slices immediately with the mouse , like recycle.

I also want to do it in the clip view, directly in the session/arrangement. Not just in Simpler.

THAT is the update i want to see.

This has been bugging me BADLY for years. :(
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

InLight-Tone

Post by InLight-Tone » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:13 pm

studiojohnny wrote:Well said. I wonder what percentage of Live users actually use stupid freaking Push. Anyone know? Can't be a lot. I wish Ableton would abandon it already and focus on software. They seriously are like a car company that's selling fancy rims while the car is missing wheels. Live still has major features lacking. Until those are added/fixed they should not be wasting time and resources on hardware.
I think the Push is one of the greatest things about Live, that and Max4Live. I find it insanely expressive beyond midi keyboards.

Sure I agree that the software needs some basic features worked on like multi-clip midi editing but I like where they are heading personally...

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:16 pm

Someone sticking with a piece of software for years when it doesn't fit their workflow sounds absolutely insane to me. Who does that?
Unsound Designer

dna598

Post by dna598 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:28 pm

stringtapper wrote:Someone sticking with a piece of software for years when it doesn't fit their workflow sounds absolutely insane to me. Who does that?
That' ll be the Live user that uses Recycle when they need to slice with some level of detail and efficiency. The rest I enjoy. Hardly "absolutely insane". Try religion.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:13 pm

We don't talk about religion here.

:evil:
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

octavious

Post by octavious » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:19 pm

Tarekith wrote:We don't talk about religion here.

:evil:
Amen to that brother!

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:42 pm

Hi all.

https://ableton.centercode.com/project/ ... f2bb0e3%7D

https://ableton.centercode.com/project/ ... &t=0&fti=2

If anyone would vote for these things this would be much appreciated..

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:09 am

PM'ed
Make some music!

S-N-S

Post by S-N-S » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:21 pm

Some things i wanna see in the next ableton

1.Mouse wheel zooming (ctrl+mousewheel-horizontal)alt+mousewheel-vertical)

2.VST3 Support

3.when audioting samples in browser,lets see the frequency curve when a spectrum analyzer is on the master

4.being able to move the playhead when auditioning samples in the browser