I wish for LINUX support (mainly Ubuntu)

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
rinaldojonathan

I wish for LINUX support (mainly Ubuntu)

Post by rinaldojonathan » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:56 am

first, I heard that Live for Mac is actually Live for windows heavily modded with Wine prefix
(idk the truth, but that's all I heard. actual software I've seen created this way for Mac OS X is "Electronic Arts - The Sims 3")

why this can't be done in Linux?

downfader

Re: I wish for LINUX support (mainly Ubuntu)

Post by downfader » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:28 am

I too would love linux support. there is too much running in the background on most windows systems imo.

marra

Post by marra » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:28 pm

Not a big fan of Linux, especially not Ubuntu. Debian is nice, FreeBSD is better, but nothing really beats OpenBSD.
Choose OpenBSD for your Unix needs. OpenBSD -- the world's simplest and most secure Unix-like OS. Creator of the world's most used SSH implementation OpenSSH, the world's most elegant firewall PF, the world's most elegant mail server OpenSMTPD, the OpenSSL rewrite LibreSSL, and the NTP rewrite OpenNTPD. OpenBSD -- the cleanest kernel, the cleanest userland and the cleanest configuration syntax.

marra

Post by marra » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:31 pm

downfader wrote:I too would love linux support. there is too much running in the background on most windows systems imo.
Ubuntu has a lot of useless stuff enabled by default. It's commands make little to no sense and the whole system is generally a mess. It's first after you've used one of the BSDs that you realize, whoa, I had no idea things could be this neat and simple -- it all makes sense now. But I'm gonna end my rant now, I'm sure Ableton has better things to do than to port all of Live over to a primarily server-based OS / distro. Like my friend used to say, BSD/Linux for servers, Windows/OS X for desktops. Period.

autodidactic

Post by autodidactic » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:44 am

marra wrote:
downfader wrote:I too would love linux support. there is too much running in the background on most windows systems imo.
Ubuntu has a lot of useless stuff enabled by default. It's commands make little to no sense and the whole system is generally a mess. It's first after you've used one of the BSDs that you realize, whoa, I had no idea things could be this neat and simple -- it all makes sense now. But I'm gonna end my rant now, I'm sure Ableton has better things to do than to port all of Live over to a primarily server-based OS / distro. Like my friend used to say, BSD/Linux for servers, Windows/OS X for desktops. Period.
I'm a BSD user too btw (FreeBSD). I disagree though that a Linux port of Ableton would be inappropriate. The Linux desktop has come a long way in the last 3 or 4 years. Also, I can't think of a crowd that would be more suited to using an open source OS than Live users. Think about it, Live users are tinkering with Max, PureData, Arduinos, DIY hardware controllers, OSC, LiveAPI etc. They would eat any open source OS up. Also if Apple and microsoft keep doing boneheaded moves like forcing botched upgrades and eliminating analog audio jacks, I think alternative operating systems will be more appealing than ever.

Anyway, if Ableton does decide to undertake such a port, the smart thing to do IMHO would be to rewrite the Windows version in Qt. That would position them to be portable to most any other OS including Linux/BSD and mobile operating systems.

downfader

Post by downfader » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:41 pm

autodidactic wrote:
marra wrote:
I'm a BSD user too btw (FreeBSD). I disagree though that a Linux port of Ableton would be inappropriate. The Linux desktop has come a long way in the last 3 or 4 years. Also, I can't think of a crowd that would be more suited to using an open source OS than Live users. Think about it, Live users are tinkering with Max, PureData, Arduinos, DIY hardware controllers, OSC, LiveAPI etc. They would eat any open source OS up. Also if Apple and microsoft keep doing boneheaded moves like forcing botched upgrades and eliminating analog audio jacks, I think alternative operating systems will be more appealing than ever.

Anyway, if Ableton does decide to undertake such a port, the smart thing to do IMHO would be to rewrite the Windows version in Qt. That would position them to be portable to most any other OS including Linux/BSD and mobile operating systems.
I do wonder if the "trick" has now been well and truly missed. Ubuntu Studio and Bitwig seem to have really pushed the Linux end into what many can get away with - and its mostly free (I do recommend donating something to the developers via the Ubuntu site etc)

rinaldojonathan

Post by rinaldojonathan » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:51 pm

I still hope for linux version.

well, please don't fight about distro. I know BSD is much more stable, Ubuntu is bloated, etc, etc,etc ...
but you know that Ubuntu (and Linux Mint) is the most used distro in the desktop, and that's why I asked for Ubuntu ... because everyone is using it. at least the newbies.

Please, Ableton.
I heard Push won't work with WINE ... anybody could confirm this?