Simpler Time-stretching

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
nsabanadze

Simpler Time-stretching

Post by nsabanadze » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:53 pm

Hey everyone,
There's this one thing that bugs me every time i start sampling via push 2/simpler (new one) - Missing time stretching function. That's like an essential feature for almost every sampler, why aren't we developing this? Usually my samples are timestretched/out of original BPM. For example i could record 2 bar sample and stretch it for 1.5 or something. Of course i can do it in Clip by using warp markers, but since I've invested in Push 2 (and trying to build my workflow around it) that's insane that i cant do it via simpler.

It would be useful if i could turn off warping and times-stetch sample by percents for whole device (or better - for each slice), or at least manually correct sample BPM for warping (for example if ill have sample with 100BPM,150 would give me 1.5x time warp).

Also simpler often just cant estimate BPM of a sample (since i record some obscure samples where BPM is constantly changing over time) so i'm forced to either turn warp OFF and change BPM of my project so it will sync and then convert it to Audio and transpose it UP or DOWN, or i'm forced to warp sample before i load it up in simpler. Either way it's a serious workflow dip for me, and it really just kills and limits my creativity.

But what's even more irritating is that no-one seems to need that feature at all, i've never seen someone complain about it here or elsewhere. Is there something i'm missing? Is there any way i can achieve that easier? Maybe you could add that function for the next update?

resampler

Re: Simpler Time-stretching

Post by resampler » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:26 am

YES. I am looking for the exact same thing as you. Here is the text of my feature suggestion on https://ableton.centercode.com . Please go there and upvote it if you're interested in this feature. It is one of the only things that Maschine still does better than Ableton when it comes to sampling.

SUG-2023

It would be amazing if we could get the "Stretch" knob in Impulse, which is just a tempo-independent timestretch percentage control, added to the new Simpler.

There are many times when I'm working with samples and I want to be able to timestretch them, at a manually-set ratio without having to change the master tempo which would affect all my other warped samples. Right now I have to resample them into arrangement, and use the "Seg. BPM" control to get what I'm looking for.

Basically, this would do what a tempo change does to the new Simpler with warp enabled, except only on specific samples, and by different lengths/ratios of our choosing for each. Just put it right at the end of the processing chain so Simpler will warp things normally according to tempo changes, but then multiply that warped length by the stretch percentage so we can really fine-tune stuff.

Edit:
and here's the direct link to that feature request. You need a login to upvote it.

https://ableton.centercode.com/project/ ... 3ee2da987e

comdico

Post by comdico » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:13 am

I agree with this request. The current time stretching options are too coarse: half and double speed. This assumes you have perfectly beat mapped audio, but that isn't always the case - for example if you are sampling a source with a different time signature.

I think the Push 2 workflow is great but this one feature sort of prevents it from being a real substitute for an MPC.

Alfonx

Post by Alfonx » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:01 pm

I accidentally thought my push2 would do all that for me. As a Newbie you will expect this (i excepted this). Many vids show how you slice beats/sample - but you have to know: you have to warp the Sample/mp3 first and save this settings in Session View.

Then all the next steps like "slicing per beat" makes sense and will lead to the expected result.
So: Yes! Its important to tell everybody to warp the Material BEFORE you use the push 2 with it.
It took me some days to understand this. My snippets/slices (created from whole songs/mp3s) never were in time/beat. I slowly got insane about this.... :x
https://soundcloud.com/alfonx/sets/alfonx-tracks
Hey there! I create and remix music in the genres dance/pop and electronic/techno.
PC & Mac. Live 11, push2, NI S61 and tons of softsynths...

clay

Post by clay » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:02 am

i too have been looking for this functionality in simpler.

this looks like a work around, lots of fun to play with:
https://www.az-labs.com/downloads/simpl ... k-control/

you can stretch the sample with a macro dial to 400% !!

it doesnt look like you can stretch it while the sample is playing though. that's what im looking for, to speed up and slow down the sample (without changing pitch) while its playing without having to retrigger it.

dolomick

Post by dolomick » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:56 pm

Alfonx wrote:I accidentally thought my push2 would do all that for me. As a Newbie you will expect this (i excepted this). Many vids show how you slice beats/sample - but you have to know: you have to warp the Sample/mp3 first and save this settings in Session View.

Then all the next steps like "slicing per beat" makes sense and will lead to the expected result.
So: Yes! Its important to tell everybody to warp the Material BEFORE you use the push 2 with it.
It took me some days to understand this. My snippets/slices (created from whole songs/mp3s) never were in time/beat. I slowly got insane about this.... :x
Agree here, sampling should make each slice totally elastic and malleable with pitch and time disconnected and all controllable from push. The workflow is not quite there yet.

IAmRickyRiot

Post by IAmRickyRiot » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:56 pm

This is unfortunate. I just bought a Push 2 a couple days ago thinking this was already possible with the videos I've seen on it. This is kind of a heart breaker. My purchase depended on this workflow possibility. Hopefully a solution will come very soon.

cmprvndncr

Post by cmprvndncr » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:12 am

I'm dying because I keep trying to utilise the seemingly amazing push 2, and things like this keep completely killing my workflow / creativity. Please add this, and warp marker editing, or at least a nice workaround... While you're at it, ableton, please add more keyboard shortcut, or at least mappable options.

Alfonx

Post by Alfonx » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:06 pm

... and Ableton-don't forget to implement this new, crazy and awesome feature called "using the mouse scrolling wheel to zoom in/out a waveform".
:wink:
https://soundcloud.com/alfonx/sets/alfonx-tracks
Hey there! I create and remix music in the genres dance/pop and electronic/techno.
PC & Mac. Live 11, push2, NI S61 and tons of softsynths...

cmprvndncr

Post by cmprvndncr » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:32 pm

Alfonx wrote:... and Ableton-don't forget to implement this new, crazy and awesome feature called "using the mouse scrolling wheel to zoom in/out a waveform".
They invented? the beautiful push, and yet we're stil chained to the mouse. They should call it the plick

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:07 pm

cmprvndncr wrote:
Alfonx wrote:... and Ableton-don't forget to implement this new, crazy and awesome feature called "using the mouse scrolling wheel to zoom in/out a waveform".
They invented? the beautiful push, and yet we're stil chained to the mouse. They should call it the plick
It's the Ableton Plonk actually…
Make some music!

Bobbito147

Post by Bobbito147 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:04 pm

So is there a way to Timestretch independent of the BPM yet in either Sampler or Simpler?