Ableton needs a "Tracker View"

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
GV1

Ableton needs a "Tracker View"

Post by GV1 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:14 pm

We have "Session View" and "Arranger View" but a feature that I feel would be awesome for Ableton is a "Tracker View". Trackers are still very much alive today. I use MilkyTracker and recently purchased Renoise to complement Ableton. It would be very cool if Ableton had a feature to allow the user to compose music in a Tracker type arranger.

Idonotlikebroccoli

Re: Ableton needs a "Tracker View"

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:49 am

Most people here probably don't know what trackers are. What are their advantages for you? Why would people want to use something that looks like Excel from the future?

I know some guys who use Renoise, and I'm really impressed by its feature set. I just didn't like the lack of visual differentiation of the notes' pitches, although I'm told it forces you to use your ears more.
Also, when I entered chords, such as "c4 e4 g4" and did inversions, I'd end up seeing "c4 e4 g3" or "c5 e4 g4", which is just weird.

On the other hand, I guess effect commands are pretty cool when you're proficient with them: http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Effec ... ct_Columns

S-N-S

Post by S-N-S » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:51 pm

Trackers are cool,and a nice way of making music,i Use Renoise myself too.but this isent IMHO for ableton

GV1

Post by GV1 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:53 am

antic604 wrote:Live9 doesn't "need" it, but sure it would be an awesome option to have - I still think doing certain things in tracker (beats, some elaborate effects) is faster than via piano-roll or samples.

As a workaround, one can use Redux: http://renoise.com/products/redux
Redux is very cool. I've been using this in Ableton recently and I love it.