Ambisonic/Multi-channel/Surround Sound Support

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Oran_Mor

Ambisonic/Multi-channel/Surround Sound Support

Post by Oran_Mor » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:50 pm

Kia ora all, new user here from Aotearoa/New Zealand. Long time fan of Live, finally a Suite/Push 2 owner. Needless to say - absolutely stoked!

Please forgive me if this has already come up at some stage, I did have a quick search however failed to find anything.

I would imagine that this is an unlikely one until the next major update (Live 10?), however I'm curious as to whether we'll ever see Live evolve into supporting multi-channel tracks (say, beyond mono and stereo), and thus opening up the possibilities of easier-to-configure surround sound processing. I would envision that this would work wonderfully in tandem with Max For Live, as Max has long been employed in advanced surround sound processing, and especially so with Ambisonics, which are fast becoming the standard medium for spatial audio work now that Augmented/Mixed/Virtual Reality technologies are starting to evolve and becoming more accessible to mainstream audiences.

Reaper is one DAW in particular which manages to incorporate this very well, however is admittedly a bit clunky and a very different beast to Live. Live already has a considerable head start with its Max integration, and so it's here, alongside the DAW's unique capabilities, that I can see Live taking a significant lead in where spatial audio formats and technologies appear to be heading.

Curious to see as to whether there are many others interested in this sort of thing here, and what Ableton and the Live community's thoughts are on the subject.

Cheers!
~ OM

dreamer55

Re: Ambisonic/Multi-channel/Surround Sound Support

Post by dreamer55 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:55 am

+1

Jabbon

Post by Jabbon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:57 am

+ 1k

Although one can already do quite easily DBAP or VBAP for a maximum of 12 ch with the return_tracks trick,
or go byond by using a rack nesting several sub tracks each with an ext.audio ;
Or even risking via msp using send~ + receive~

An ambisonic native implementation would be indeed amazing (filtering, distance curves etc.).
sound spatialization content & technologies @ audit-orium.com

melkesedek

Post by melkesedek » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:55 am

Yes please!

redglass

Post by redglass » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:36 am

+ 1

ashtarchris

Post by ashtarchris » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:08 pm

+1

it sucks to have use reaper for ambisonics, instead of doing it internally in ableton for vr sound mixing

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:32 pm

+1
I mean SURROUND PANNING which is different to using aux channels as a workaround.
Been requesting this for years but the word is that for tech reasons it is hard to implement in Live.

xp4l

Post by xp4l » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:02 am

Hello,

jumping the thread. The newly xp4l, is offering a lot of functionalities to create within Ableton workflow, true 3d audio, supporting all the spatialization models (vbap, ambisnics etc), animation... and recording of the multichannel audio stream. It runs on the emblematic Ircam Spat~library, therefore with sound perception in 3 dimensions.

xp comes with a 3d view monitoring system and all sound sources are dynamically instantiated. Shifting between listening Sound Field and Binaural takes one click, as changing speaker configuration up to 62 channels out.

Check it out here www.xp4l.com

Jabbon

Post by Jabbon » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:27 am

interesting this topic is still alive.

the link does not work.
Although it is quite easy nowadays, with Live/Max multichannel implementations to build a system on your own.
The one we built @auditorium is considerably more flexible than anything you find on the market. And you are not stuck with big companies, who want to sell speakers--- ;-)
sound spatialization content & technologies @ audit-orium.com

MattDz

Post by MattDz » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:48 pm

Any leads to a tutorial/example on how to implement multitrack (>2 tracks) in Ableton / Max4live?

I would like to receive all 4 tracks from my Ambisonic mic into 1 Ableton track so I can use Rode SoundField plugin, SurroundZone2 plugin or create a custom max4live patch to manipulate the 4 Ambisonic channels. In any case the chain on this 4-channel multitrack would output a stereo format consisting of two channels (e.g. stereo or binaural representation of the Ambisonic soundfield.

Thanks!