Glyphs or images in labels

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Et_Tu_Bootay

Glyphs or images in labels

Post by Et_Tu_Bootay » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:25 pm

I don't think there'll be huge demand for this one... but here goes.

It would be great if all labels (including track and group names, as well as currently unlabel-able areas like the play buttons in a group column)
could support not just text but basic symbols/glyphs. It would only have to be small black on transparent .pngs, that are then styled by the clip/track colour as normal.

I'd love to have a set of basic symbols I could use to label things instead of words. These could obviously be drums, keys, horns etc that represent the instrument, but could also be abstract eg square, triangle, spiral etc. I could use this feature to make a live session that's much more intuitive for me to navigate at a glance.

This would also mean variable height rows in live view to support the aspect ratio of the glyphs. Ideally you could manually scale them up or down so glyphs could sit at the same height as regular text or be large for important items.

A cheapshot way to do it would be to support a wingdings style font or a custom extension of existing unicode.
A crazy way to do it would be to support small animated gifs...
It would also give the next Live version an obvious aesthetic difference to previous versions.

Stromkraft

Re: Glyphs or images in labels

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:34 pm

Et_Tu_Bootay wrote:I don't think there'll be huge demand for this one... but here goes.

It would be great if all labels (including track and group names, as well as currently unlabel-able areas like the play buttons in a group column)
could support not just text but basic symbols/glyphs. It would only have to be small black on transparent .pngs, that are then styled by the clip/track colour as normal.

I'd love to have a set of basic symbols I could use to label things instead of words. These could obviously be drums, keys, horns etc that represent the instrument, but could also be abstract eg square, triangle, spiral etc. I could use this feature to make a live session that's much more intuitive for me to navigate at a glance.

This would also mean variable height rows in live view to support the aspect ratio of the glyphs. Ideally you could manually scale them up or down so glyphs could sit at the same height as regular text or be large for important items.

A cheapshot way to do it would be to support a wingdings style font or a custom extension of existing unicode.
A crazy way to do it would be to support small animated gifs...
It would also give the next Live version an obvious aesthetic difference to previous versions.
I like it. However, I don't think many external controllers would support this. If done at all, it should be as a part of an industry effort I think.
Make some music!