a stable step sequencer (native Live)

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
Post Reply
NoSonic822
Posts: 700
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:38 am

a stable step sequencer (native Live)

Post by NoSonic822 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:27 pm

an actual Live midi effect so it's maximum stability. I like the max ones but they are so massively unstable that they basically useless in a real live performance . make it ultra basic but my most desired feature would be to be able to macro the number of steps .

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: a stable step sequencer (native Live)

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:43 pm

Inversoundzzz wrote:an actual Live midi effect so it's maximum stability. I like the max ones but they are so massively unstable that they basically useless in a real live performance . make it ultra basic but my most desired feature would be to be able to macro the number of steps .
Given the fact MIDI clips are the native Live sequencer I think you should make a little more clear what kind of features you're looking for. There's no obvious point in making native what is already available, rather it would make more sense for Ableton to take some core ideas and run with these. Which core ideas?
Make some music!

NoSonic822
Posts: 700
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:38 am

Re: a stable step sequencer (native Live)

Post by NoSonic822 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:53 am

Stromkraft wrote:
Inversoundzzz wrote:an actual Live midi effect so it's maximum stability. I like the max ones but they are so massively unstable that they basically useless in a real live performance . make it ultra basic but my most desired feature would be to be able to macro the number of steps .
Given the fact MIDI clips are the native Live sequencer I think you should make a little more clear what kind of features you're looking for. There's no obvious point in making native what is already available, rather it would make more sense for Ableton to take some core ideas and run with these. Which core ideas?
do you use zebra2? something like the step sequencer on that. basically 16 steps, each step has note length, and semi-tone adjustements

the main thing that i would like is the ability to shrink or expand the step #, so on the fly, you can change the number of steps from 16 to 15 to 8 etc whatever.
Image

this is an ultra simple sequencer, but I find it to be very useful for live techno. i wish to control something like it inside ableton.

NoSonic822
Posts: 700
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:38 am

Re: a stable step sequencer (native Live)

Post by NoSonic822 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:57 am

ok i think if you just refined the "All Together" step sequencer, and made it stable, that would at least be very useful. if you made part of Live's native midi effects, then it woul dbe usable.

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: a stable step sequencer (native Live)

Post by Stromkraft » Fri May 19, 2017 11:25 am

Inversoundzzz wrote:ok i think if you just refined the "All Together" step sequencer, and made it stable, that would at least be very useful. if you made part of Live's native midi effects, then it woul dbe usable.
What's the "All Together" step sequencer?

Also, did you check out articles looking at VST plug-in MIDI sequencers? Like for example Free Step Sequencer VST Plugins! (Bedroomproducersblog) and VSTi MIDI Sequencers (Hitsquad).

I don't really see why a native MIDI sequencer needs to be a MIDI effect per se. It would be more natural to present this as another MIDI editor that interfaces the clip for raw data, without necessarily being tied to it.
Make some music!

NoSonic822
Posts: 700
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:38 am

Re: a stable step sequencer (native Live)

Post by NoSonic822 » Fri May 19, 2017 1:06 pm

yea i checked some of those out, they seem to need weird routing on other tracks. like you cant insert the arp before the instrument, you have to use another track and then use routing, unnecessary complexity and problems. the point of the step sequencer is so you dont have to program any midi notes.

TomKern
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:08 pm

Re: a stable step sequencer (native Live)

Post by TomKern » Wed May 24, 2017 11:55 am

If all you want is the ability to change the loop length of your clips on the fly, look into using clyphx' clip loop functions tied to a MIDI controller.

Super stable of course with the added benefit that you are using the internal sequencer (aka clips)

You can do the same with note pitch and note length on each step, but that might become a bit unwieldy to do it all.

Btw, I love Zebra, but their Arp/sequencer kinda sucks

NoSonic822
Posts: 700
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:38 am

Re: a stable step sequencer (native Live)

Post by NoSonic822 » Wed May 31, 2017 1:01 pm

yea im just showing it because of the simplicity, thats why. it definitely isnt that good, but i like that you can at least change the steps #.

Post Reply