Undock Windows vs Second Window

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
KenA
Location: A country full of currupted and un-educated people...

Undock Windows vs Second Window

Post by KenA » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:29 am

Hi. Although we can use the Second Window feature in Live 9.1 and higher I really wish we could just undock or unpin the windows. (similar to what we can do with Reaper). That would really increase usability in my opinion. Well, just a thought :-)

antic604

Re: Undock Windows vs Second Window

Post by antic604 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:12 pm

KenA wrote:Hi. Although we can use the Second Window feature in Live 9.1 and higher I really wish we could just undock or unpin the windows. (similar to what we can do with Reaper). That would really increase usability in my opinion. Well, just a thought :-)
That's very subjective. Lots of people doing music nowadays don't have big studios with dedicated computers and host of monitors. Most people work on single-screen laptop and that's why Live - and others - followed suit trying to organise everything on one screen with panels and pages. Even Cubase that always worked as a collection of floating windows nowadays offers the single-screen experience, because it's convenient and actually improves the usability for bedroom producers. I cannot imagine having pop-up windows for each thing, moving them around, resizing, etc.

I however agree, that if someone has 2+ monitors they should be able to arrange their work area however they wont, like a puzzle, e.g. mixer on 1st monitor, MIDI/clip editor on 2nd, devices on 3rd, browser on 4th, etc.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:35 pm

I like the AfterEffects model.
the panes can snap in different positions, then the user can save the layout as a "workspace".Very handy,

so in live we'd be able to toggle between say a "browsing", "beat making" , "performing", "multi monitor arranging", etc. workspace / layout

The look of Live could stay exactly the same, so no floating windows (unless you wanted to tear a pan loose), but it would be more flexible

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/u ... ewers.html

Joshua Boden

Post by Joshua Boden » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:33 am

I don't really dig the way the 2nd window function currently works. I would love the ability to arrange the windows to fit my work flow.