'Guitar layout' mode ??

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
CH7

'Guitar layout' mode ??

Post by CH7 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:58 am

A 'guitar layout' mode for notes seems like a reasonable expectation for Push, yet it's not implimented.
You can select Chromatic mode and then change the direction to Vert or Horiz, but this is 180 degrees off.

So my qustion is this, am i missing something?
Will this mode be in the next Live update?
Is there a Max4live patch to do this?

Thanks

Ideally you would set layout to 4ths, Chromatic, direction Horiz, and where you have 'fixed off', implement 'Reverse'.
This would mean instant karma for guitar / bass players. Also Reverse would be useful for all the 'In key' scales.

I still haven't worked out what 'Fixed off' does. Anyone wishing to keep 'fixed off' could set this in the preference.

I appreciate this might mean the 'Octave' buttons could seem backwards, but most people would accept this to have this extra
flexibility. There again, if you wanted to be consistant, you could have Reverse applied to the octave buttons as well.

Stromkraft

Re: 'Guitar layout' mode ??

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:10 pm

CH7 wrote:A 'guitar layout' mode for notes seems like a reasonable expectation for Push, yet it's not implimented.
As a former guitar player I don't see how you mean exactly. Are you meaning an upside down Chromatic mode? I don't see that making sense.

As it is now at default Chromatic you're looking down at the fretboard from low strings to the high strings, which is the same view as you would have if looking down on a guitar. Granted, you're not playing it the same as a guitar, but then you're not holding it as guitar either, are you?
Make some music!

CH7

Post by CH7 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:31 am

"As a former guitar player I don't see how you mean exactly. Are you meaning an upside down Chromatic mode? I don't see that making sense. "

This is about my mental map of the instrument. Each person should be allowed translate their mental map without having to relearn.

Let's say I play an octave on the Bass as a 'righty'. I know from the root note the octave is DOWN 2 semis and then right 2 strings. I should be able to do the same thing on Push. On the Push the octave is alway UP 2 positions. This is about that diagonal.

I want the lowest 'string' on the left side and I want to play the octave from the root as DOWN 2 steps across 2 steps. If you played as a 'lefty' you might want the lowest 'string' on the the right side so that the octave from the root was DOWN 2 and left 2. Do you see my point?

The note layout seems to be fixed so that the octave keys always makes sense. I am saying there ought to be more options, more flexibility. The ability to 'flip' on either the horizontal or vertical axis would instantly solve this.

In scale mode there are two unused Push buttons, either button could be used to provide this 'flip' option. Alternately they could have 'flip scale layout' as an option set in preference. Is there any reason not to provide this option?

CH7

Post by CH7 » Sat May 27, 2017 7:37 am

Stromkraft wrote:
CH7 wrote:A 'guitar layout' mode for notes seems like a reasonable expectation for Push, yet it's not implimented.
As it is now at default Chromatic you're looking down at the fretboard from low strings to the high strings, which is the same view as you would have if looking down on a guitar. Granted, you're not playing it the same as a guitar, but then you're not holding it as guitar either, are you?
Just to add - anyone whose played a guitar or bass will have seen the 'tabs' or 'tablatures' used to represent guitar or bass chords.

I would like the Push to recreate that 'tablature view' so that you don't have to mentally translate that image by 90 degrees.

This is a minor addition which would have a tremendous impact in instrument mode.