Additional hotkey for crop sample/clip! Signifikant!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
RobFreeman

Additional hotkey for crop sample/clip! Signifikant!

Post by RobFreeman » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:20 am

I am almost completely satisfied with Live. But this one thing, I always ask myself. Why there is no hotkey for sample/clip croping? This feature is so important and often used, that it must get a hotkey. Signifikant!

Stromkraft

Re: Additional hotkey for crop sample/clip! Signifikant!

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:05 pm

RobFreeman wrote:I am almost completely satisfied with Live. But this one thing, I always ask myself. Why there is no hotkey for sample/clip croping? This feature is so important and often used, that it must get a hotkey. Signifikant!
Why not go all the way and implement customizable short key commands for everything? On macOS you can add shortcuts to everything in the drop menus, but not to the contextual popup menus. A built-in system would be nice.
Make some music!

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:17 pm

RobFreeman wrote:I am almost completely satisfied with Live. But this one thing, I always ask myself. Why there is no hotkey for sample/clip croping? This feature is so important and often used, that it must get a hotkey. Signifikant!
Not sure I understand your assertion. I find cropping is mostly an afterthought and almost never needed. Live allows you to use any bits or pieces of any clip without having to crop and even makes hard drive storage more efficient by not cropping.

Can you explain a bit more why you find cropping so essential?
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:56 pm

Richie Witch wrote: Can you explain a bit more why you find cropping so essential?
Obviously to get rid of fluff. Snip, done!
Make some music!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:30 pm

CMD+E works good enough for now, but I could definitely see a desire for a dedicate crop or scissors tool too. I'm often taking tiny little bits of audio from a longer field recording to work with, so no need to save and archive a bunch of huge files if I'm only using a few seconds worth.

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:58 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Richie Witch wrote: Can you explain a bit more why you find cropping so essential?
Obviously to get rid of fluff. Snip, done!
Well... that's exactly my point. It's just fluff. It doesn't change the way the clip plays, and in the long run costs you more hard drive space.

So why is "this feature so important and often used" and "significant" to the OP? Useful? Sure. But hardly even necessary, and certainly not significant.

Unless the OP has thought of something I haven't and then I'd like to learn what it is. Just giving them the opportunity to express that.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:34 am

Richie Witch wrote: Well... that's exactly my point. It's just fluff. It doesn't change the way the clip plays
That's not your point. Fluff is stuff you don't need. Why keep it around? Commit! It also makes the clip clear to read.
Richie Witch wrote: in the long run costs you more hard drive space.
Insignificant if at all. Not a reason in the real world.

Also, your demur to this request is quite exaggerated as this command exists already and the feature request is only about a shortcut. Do you feel disturbed by the presence of a shortcut for a command you see little use of? Why?
Make some music!

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:49 am

Stromkraft wrote:Also, your demur to this request is quite exaggerated as this command exists already and the feature request is only about a shortcut. Do you feel disturbed by the presence of a shortcut for a command you see little use of? Why?
What's your beef? I know the feature already exists and adding a shortcut for it would be no big deal. I use it, although not often, because it seems fairly pointless to me. But hey, not everyone has to make music the way I do.

That being said, if this new member of the forums has come up with a new way of using it in his workflow that I haven't thought of, then I'd like to hear it. I'm always open to hearing new ideas.

RobFreeman

Post by RobFreeman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:20 am

Stromkraft wrote:
Richie Witch wrote: Well... that's exactly my point. It's just fluff. It doesn't change the way the clip plays
That's not your point. Fluff is stuff you don't need. Why keep it around? Commit! It also makes the clip clear to read.
Richie Witch wrote: in the long run costs you more hard drive space.
Insignificant if at all. Not a reason in the real world.

Also, your demur to this request is quite exaggerated as this command exists already and the feature request is only about a shortcut. Do you feel disturbed by the presence of a shortcut for a command you see little use of? Why?

Spend some time with warping workflow, there I use croping frequently. Or after most recordings and especially the following variations. Independent samples simply more work-friendly than loop ranges, for me.

Overall customizable hotkey feature, would be the perfect solution, of course.
Seen too late, there is already a separate thread.

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:28 am

RobFreeman wrote:Spend some time with warping workflow, there I use croping frequently. Or after most recordings and especially the following variations. Independent samples simply more work-friendly than loop ranges, for me.

Overall customizable hotkey feature, would be the perfect solution, of course.
Seen too late, there is already a separate thread.
Got it. I was thinking more along the lines of field recordings. I have had times where you spend five minutes trying to capture that perfect sound that only lasts two and half seconds. In a situation like that, you'd want to trim the clip down to the little piece you want and then toss the rest.

Sometimes not cropping has saved me a lot of time tho. For example some actions, like crop and reverse, create a new audio file and the link to the old file is broken. When I suddenly discover that I really needed one-sixteenth note worth more of that clip, if I haven't cropped, it's still there. I just move the end marker and done.

But yeah, you have to do what makes sense to you.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:40 pm

Richie Witch wrote: What's your beef?
???
Richie Witch wrote: if this new member of the forums has come up with a new way of using it in his workflow that I haven't thought of, then I'd like to hear it. I'm always open to hearing new ideas.
So am I. I just found your line of inquiry being somewhat obscure. It's totally OK not to understand, I also don't sometimes, but this can be expressed in different ways.
Make some music!

buckman

Post by buckman » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:15 pm

Richie Witch wrote:Got it. I was thinking more along the lines of field recordings. I have had times where you spend five minutes trying to capture that perfect sound that only lasts two and half seconds. In a situation like that, you'd want to trim the clip down to the little piece you want and then toss the rest.

Sometimes not cropping has saved me a lot of time tho. For example some actions, like crop and reverse, create a new audio file and the link to the old file is broken. When I suddenly discover that I really needed one-sixteenth note worth more of that clip, if I haven't cropped, it's still there. I just move the end marker and done.

But yeah, you have to do what makes sense to you.
Just found this post, and also wanted to know about 'crop sample' in Live 10?

I am still on Live 9, and about to upgrade. I still use an editor to crop and toss all the dead air that I don't need, but would be great if i could get this 'destructively' on Live 10, and drop the editor?

I like to trim and crop as I record, knowing i just have the samples i need, then i get creative in the arrangement view.

Does 'crop sample' in Live 10, act like an editor, that overwrites the sample, so i know its all cleaned up? I got the impression with Live creating a new audio file each time, that there would be hundreds of long unused samples of mine sitting on my drive taking up room (when using a 128Gb SSD), or do they erase forever on exiting the program?

jthedwalker

Post by jthedwalker » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:54 pm

Hello all,

I posted this on the Ableton subreddit and I figured I'd post it a few places here so people can find it. It was driving me nuts not having a simple shortcut to crop a sample so I made one myself. This isn't a "solution" and is very much a hack. If the menu order in the sample editor changes, this will break.

The link is below and is the entire original post. I hope someone finds this useful.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ableton/commen ... tcut_hack/

Using Karabiner-Elements I was able to add a sequence of keys and bind them to a shortcut. In this instance I used F6.

The code below needs to be saved as a JSON file with the .json file extension. That file is then placed in the following path. /Users/YourComputerName/.config/karabiner/assets/complex_modifications

After the file is added to the path, open "Preferences..." in Karabiner-Elements by clicking on the square icon in the upper right corner of the menu bar.

Once opened click on "Add rule" under the Complex Modifications > Rules tab.

After the rule is added, hover over a clip in Ableton Live that is looped and press F6. The sample should crop just as if you right clicked and selected "Crop Sample".

Note: Your mouse pointer needs to be placed over the sample with a loop selection in order for this to work. This is code is simply triggering the following events: right click, m, up arrow, return or enter. If the location of "Crop Sample" in the menu changes this will break and will have to be modified.

https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/index.html

Code: Select all

{
"title": "Crop Sample",
"rules": [
{
"description": "Ableton Crop Sample",
"manipulators": [
{
"type": "basic",
"from": {
"key_code": "f6",
"modifiers": {
"optional": [
"any"
]
}
},
"to": [
{
"pointing_button": "button2"
},
{
"key_code": "m"
},
{
"key_code": "up_arrow"
},
{
"key_code": "return_or_enter"
}
]
}
]
}
]
}

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Mon May 25, 2020 9:21 pm

any equivalent for WINDOWS10 ???
"You are what you think you are"
Sadarahu

buckman

Post by buckman » Tue May 26, 2020 9:34 am

Thanks jthedwalker ..

Just to clarify is this destructive so that all the unwanted parts of a loop for example are gone forever on closing Live and no unwanted audio is saved to a hidden folder?