Recordings folder should be in the Project Folder

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
Post Reply
[art]
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:29 am
Contact:

Recordings folder should be in the Project Folder

Post by [art] » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:25 am

It's been a while since I've posted here but I've ran into a problem which I find frustrating.

The 'Live Recordings' folder should be in the Project folder, not just some generic bin where everything goes from anything you do in Ableton.

The Collect All & Save function is a process which brings samples into your Project folder from this bin, but why not have them there in the first place?

Anything recorded in a Project should go into that projects folder, not elsewhere on a hard drive.

Or, at the very least, please offer a preference for 'Always Collect All and Save' that can allow for samples always being saved in a project. Or a preference to select 'Project Folder' as the location for your recordings.

The current implementation introduces missing files almost as a default, if a user moves a Project around different machines or drives, with human error being introduced by forgetting to Collect All and Save.

The way I see it, 'Media Files are missing from this Project' is a situation that should never be possible to happen in the first place.

Cheers.

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: Recordings folder should be in the Project Folder

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:42 am

[art] wrote:It's been a while since I've posted here but I've ran into a problem which I find frustrating.

The 'Live Recordings' folder should be in the Project folder, not just some generic bin where everything goes from anything you do in Ableton.

The Collect All & Save function is a process which brings samples into your Project folder from this bin, but why not have them there in the first place?

Anything recorded in a Project should go into that projects folder, not elsewhere on a hard drive.

Or, at the very least, please offer a preference for 'Always Collect All and Save' that can allow for samples always being saved in a project. Or a preference to select 'Project Folder' as the location for your recordings.

The current implementation introduces missing files almost as a default, if a user moves a Project around different machines or drives, with human error being introduced by forgetting to Collect All and Save.

The way I see it, 'Media Files are missing from this Project' is a situation that should never be possible to happen in the first place.

Cheers.
Sure, but if you record audio prior to saving and then proceed to save the project for the first time the recorded files are indeed moved to this new project folder. This is how it works in Live 9.7.4 and it's been like this since 9.0 as far as I can remember.

Likewise, when you have saved a project and you're within this when recording all new recordings are saved within the Samples/Recorded folder inside.

I think you might be encountering some other effect of some aspect of your work process, like recording when in another project or something like that. Make sure when you save a new project you're not in an existing project folder, but in the parent.
Make some music!

[art]
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:29 am
Contact:

Re: Recordings folder should be in the Project Folder

Post by [art] » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:46 am

Perhaps my problem is import, not recording.

Are imported files automatically copied to a project?

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: Recordings folder should be in the Project Folder

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:58 am

[art] wrote:Perhaps my problem is import, not recording.

Are imported files automatically copied to a project?
They are not. This doesn't have to be a problem though. For samples I've added the root sample library folder — where I keep all my samples — to the Live browser. I have this outside of my User Library, otherwise that's also a good central place to keep files.

If you want to be able to move things around to other machines you'd have to use Manage Files and chose "Collect into Project" already when you've added it. It's a good habit to have. The file will end up in the "Imported" folder.
Make some music!

[art]
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:29 am
Contact:

Re: Recordings folder should be in the Project Folder

Post by [art] » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:09 am

Ok.

I don't have a central samples folder. I use things from other Ableton sets mainly.

I still think there's room for a preference that takes care of all of this.

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: Recordings folder should be in the Project Folder

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:32 am

[art] wrote: I still think there's room for a preference that takes care of all of this.
Certainly. But we have to live now also.
Make some music!

Post Reply