STILL NO COMPING?!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
megahurt

STILL NO COMPING?!

Post by megahurt » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:35 pm

For fucks sake... version 10 and still no comping?

akm

Re: STILL NO COMPING?!

Post by akm » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:41 pm

Sorry, may I ask what comping means?

ADDED: nevermind, was able to google it.

Froschfinger

Post by Froschfinger » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:55 pm

This was one of the most-wanted features of mine for Live 10. Too bad the recording part doesn't get as much attention from Ableton as it probably could. Let's hope for this to surface on a Live 10.1 update......
But what's the use in that
When you lie?

akm

Post by akm » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:57 pm

I wonder if it is really that important feature? I don't do tracking, say, the vocals, but I regularly do several piano takes, just use several tracks for the task, or some other workarounds, never felt I'm missing something. Again, never used it in other software so maybe it could indeed improve the process.

Froschfinger

Post by Froschfinger » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:16 pm

It is easier if you e.g. loop a section and can just record and record over and over again without stopping in between. Each break steals a bit of attention, or needs someone stop and rewind with a new track to fill another take on. So yes, comping would have been something making recording easier, but probably isn't on the regular Live user doing mostly MIDI through mouse clicking?
But what's the use in that
When you lie?

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:47 pm

The answer is in the name of the product.
Unsound Designer

TheCoil

Post by TheCoil » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:20 pm

akm wrote:I wonder if it is really that important feature? I don't do tracking, say, the vocals, but I regularly do several piano takes, just use several tracks for the task, or some other workarounds, never felt I'm missing something. Again, never used it in other software so maybe it could indeed improve the process.
It's important if Ableton wants to graduate into a more than a live tool, something that stands along (and hopefully some day above) Logic, PT, Cubase, etc. I use Ableton to record vocals all the time and it's definitely unwieldy trying to deal with 20 vocal takes, each on their own track, especially if you need to do some work on a laptop.

diegux

Post by diegux » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:25 pm

This is such a needed feature.

It is a pain to track vocals on live as it is, really slowing down the process. The loop workaround is just a workaround, clumsy and slow. And not everybody uses loop recording to track.

I am constantly going back and forth to Logic because of this Ableton flaw, it makes me sick.

Every other DAW is able to do this. Please Ableton, listen to us and sneak this into Live 10.

Thanks

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:49 pm

The thing is, there are so many other features besides just comping in a DAW like Logic that make it a joy to do normal studio tracking type work that I would never even think to use Live for stuff like that. Like I said, it's right there in the name, and that's what it excels at. That's its niche and I think it's still the best tool for it.

You guys want it to be an all-in-one solution. Okay, fine. But compare Live's DAW features to those of Logic and Cubase and they would have a looooooong way to go to even approach those two even if they released a comping feature tomorrow. In other words I would still be using Logic for traditional studio work even if Live had comping.

Personally, I'd rather they focus on the "Live" more than the "DAW."
Unsound Designer

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:07 am

Integrating M4L is such tough work.

Scaper7

Post by Scaper7 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:35 am

megahurt wrote:For fucks sake... version 10 and still no comping?
... this ... c'mon Ableton ... ffs! ...

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:05 pm

Man, I was really hoping for comping. I thought Capture might bridge the gap, but I don’t think it does. Not a dealbreaker for me, but I definitely want it. :(

stereodrive

Post by stereodrive » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:44 pm

new features suggest that the comping experience we've been performing 'till now will be smoother, anyway. The only thing I really feel is lacking is the automatic "columning" of different takes.
Mac Studio (2022)
Apple M1 Max
32 GB Ram
12.6.6 Monterey

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:56 pm

Before my female singer comes in, I create like twenty tracks for vocals in advance, all set and done, so I can workaround this compin'thingy....

Not glorious, but it works, kind of. This is all done in the arrangement view. So basicly I have some work before, and not during tracking.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

Trump2016

Post by Trump2016 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:12 pm

miyaru wrote:Before my female singer comes in, I create like twenty tracks for vocals in advance, all set and done, so I can workaround this compin'thingy....

Not glorious, but it works, kind of. This is all done in the arrangement view. So basicly I have some work before, and not during tracking.
Why not use another DAW for this? Ableton Live is not very good for live audio recording. Logic is perfect for comping. The time you spend setting up, the time you spend editing will add up to it being worth to have in only a few sessions.

The other thing annoying about this "major version" upgrade is that it has done nothing to fix the dire video support. Logic is still best for soundtracking, but in theory the workflow should be far better in Ableton Live as you manage samples and drums a lot better. At least you can rewire it to Logic, but it's not ideal.