STILL NO COMPING?!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
miyaru

Re: STILL NO COMPING?!

Post by miyaru » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:33 pm

Hello Trump2016,
I have used Cubase for 20 years or so to do the work. But Push2 did pull me to work with Live9. A lot of things are easier with Live9/Push2, not all, but I don't want to pay for 2 DAW's. I switched to a new PC, and moved from Win7 to Win10Pro. Cubase 5.5 does not work with Win 10, so I made the final switch to Live9suite from Live9 Intro. I'm happy with the switch, but there things that I would like to see better with Live, like comping in lanes etc.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

ziggy!@@

Post by ziggy!@@ » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:43 pm

Wow, this is pretty much a dealbreaker for me.
It was really the only new feature that I was hoping for (+ better audio editing which doesn't seem to have been improved either).
:evil: 8O

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:45 pm

ziggy!@@ wrote: better audio editing which doesn't seem to have been improved either
I think it's improved. Considering how many people that seem to need comping, it would make sense to have some functions that could make this easier.
Make some music!

Yassinex

Post by Yassinex » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:47 pm

stringtapper wrote:The answer is in the name of the product.
Not because you are not using Live to record / track voices or synths that everyone is not doing it.

If Ableton was only an "on stage live" program, there will be no arrangement view. so think about it.

As you may know :) there is 2 views in Live :

1- Session view => Is 100% made for Live + to quickly/easily create compositions... Live is the best ever program by far for this.

2- Arrangement view => Arrangement + Recording Voices / Synths =>> Aka Offline/studio operations => Aka finishing your track in Live.

Comping exists in many other Daws for years now, like Logic, Studio One... and its 1st objective is to make you save your time avoiding multiple cut/past drag/drop...to compose the perfect take (even after the singer is gone...).

So any workaround will just make you waste your time.... this is why Comping is useful : save your precious time, and make you more productive.

So yes Comping is a BIG MISSING feature in Live 10.... even if Ableton shows that they care about Arrangement view ( enhancement here and there like : Zooming, Automation, envelopes ...). Live 10 still weak in Arrangement view to make you finishing your track.

And honestly when you buy a +700euros DAW ( Live Suite ), you dont want to spend more for Logic/Studio One to finish your tracks...... ( not mentioning the learning curve for these new DAWS )..

So yes, comping is a NEEDED feature !

I really hope that they will add this in a future point version.

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:03 pm

Isn't it funny how many people are making their very first post to complain that their favorite feature is missing and therefore Live is totally unusable to them?? 8O

Seems to be the case in a lot of these threads in the last week ... just sayin..
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:41 pm

Most people do not have much need to come here. Things are as they are and that's all.

I never contact my ISP unless something is going wrong. I never call then to say "wassup bro, hey how's things 'cos everything's okayish with your service." I never call them to say "thanks for doing most of what I need". I only get on the ISP forum and contact them when something trips me up.

only freaks hang out on forums habitually.

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:56 pm

Angstrom wrote:only freaks hang out on forums habitually.
:lol:
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

fuzzyhead

Post by fuzzyhead » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:35 pm

Capture does the job, play your thing, hit capture and choose what you like between the arrows, loop it at convenience, done.

Yassinex

Post by Yassinex » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:22 pm

Richie Witch wrote:Isn't it funny how many people are making their very first post to complain that their favorite feature is missing and therefore Live is totally unusable to them?? 8O

Seems to be the case in a lot of these threads in the last week ... just sayin..
Your post has no point. I'm arguing why this feature is so important for some of us. You are just commenting my post without any added value....

Don't be fooled by the 1st post thing. I'm not a noobie that discovers Ableton Live or Music production ecosystem ....

I Love Ableton Live, I'm using it every day. And was hoping that the 10 version will solve this very requested feature..... even if you don't need it yourself.

am I supposed to say only thank you in this forum ? Didn't know that this was only a fanboy forum.

Respect my view, I'll respect yours.
Last edited by Yassinex on Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yassinex

Post by Yassinex » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:24 pm

fuzzyhead wrote:Capture does the job, play your thing, hit capture and choose what you like between the arrows, loop it at convenience, done.
Perhaps I'm wrong, I tough capture is recording only Midi notes.... Is Capture recording Audio ?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:53 pm

Capture is only for MIDI notes, and while useful it's nothing at all like comping and cannot be used to replace or emulate any part of a comping workflow.

it is totally different and unrelated.

pinosvalle

Post by pinosvalle » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:32 pm

Perhaps comping is out of Live Philosophy. I'm just saying.

It's quite unusual that one of the daw's bosses out there has no comping feature. As somebody said above, comping is very useful. Useful means time-saver, smart, productive...

But you can achieve this (well, something similar) through session view and clips. A lot of ways to do it. ClyphX, follow actions... and ok, this is not very strict but, you know, live is "live" so, comping could be understood as a trick or fake way to get things done.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:02 pm

pinosvalle wrote:Perhaps comping is out of Live Philosophy. I'm just saying.

It's quite unusual that one of the daw's bosses out there has no comping feature. As somebody said above, comping is very useful. Useful means time-saver, smart, productive...

But you can achieve this (well, something similar) through session view and clips. A lot of ways to do it. ClyphX, follow actions... and ok, this is not very strict but, you know, live is "live" so, comping could be understood as a trick or fake way to get things done.
I'm certain there are producers that do comping in Live very fast without even thinking about it. There have been previous discussions with some workarounds suggested.

Personally, I just cut and rearrange in Arrangement and decide on the fly. I think a tool would just get in the way for me.
Make some music!

Scaper7

Post by Scaper7 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:50 pm

ziggy!@@ wrote:Wow, this is pretty much a dealbreaker for me.
It was really the only new feature that I was hoping for (+ better audio editing which doesn't seem to have been improved either).
:evil: 8O
... totally agree ... after happily forking out for every previous Live upgrade to date (at the time of release), this omission has me holding out ... simply not interested until this is fixed ...

Ableton: fix this up ffs ... and do it now

rtroost

Post by rtroost » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:56 pm

Comping was my number one desire for this update.

Im going to assume that nested stacks is a step toward comping....

COMPING SCHNELL, BITTE!!!