MPE support.

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.

Are you avoiding or ditching Live due to lack of MPE support?

Yes, it's becoming really important.
87%
No, I don't care.
13%

Total votes: 181

jonljacobi

Re: MPE support.

Post by jonljacobi » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:16 pm

It says MPE under auto-configure in the lower left.

Korakios

Post by Korakios » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:06 pm

In NAMM news ,Midi2 is official. Hopefully it will help bringing MPE, polyphonic legato and other goodies on Live 10 .
It feels strange that Ableton Push2 hardware jams better in BitWig :P

thomashalp

Post by thomashalp » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:49 am

its very likely they waited for midi 2.0 to be set in stone, before starting on the task of possibly rewriting the entire midi engine...
:oops:

fingers crossed

rberger

Post by rberger » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:49 am

Another vote for MPE from a Roli user

CarCrashVenus

Post by CarCrashVenus » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:35 am

The stupid thing is that there is not even an answer if they are working on it or not. Why the secrecy?

thomashalp

Post by thomashalp » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:33 pm

support actually answered me and said they are actively working on it, but could not offer any other info.
So could also mean they are looking at how to implement, and might still scrap it in the end

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:34 pm

Yay! Actually the minute I heard they were in the 2.0 discussions I figured this would happen. I expect a full MIDI implementation. I don’t need it but it’s very much within their mission.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:34 pm

duplicate.

thomashalp

Post by thomashalp » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:27 pm

downloaded bitwig the other day, not just the mpe is spot on but a ton of other shit :oops:

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:37 pm

thomashalp wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:27 pm
downloaded bitwig the other day, not just the mpe is spot on but a ton of other shit :oops:
LMK how you like the loop recording where undo deletes all takes, and entering stretch markers being unfathomably difficult with the mouse, and trying to use the mouse to only scroll on the timeline, and trying to move back beyond the playhead use key commands while playing, and the playback menu whose text is smaller than the others, or mousing to the top of the display for all the contextual commands you expect when you right click. Or, the lack of even a workaround for inline comping. Oops is right.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:28 am

jonljacobi wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:37 pm
thomashalp wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:27 pm
LMK how you like the loop recording where undo deletes all takes, and entering stretch markers being unfathomably difficult with the mouse, and trying to use the mouse to only scroll on the timeline, and trying to move back beyond the playhead use key commands while playing, and the playback menu whose text is smaller than the others, or mousing to the top of the display for all the contextual commands you expect when you right click. Or, the lack of even a workaround for inline comping. Oops is right.
Are you really comparing workarounds for comping? :lol:

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:30 pm

Yes. I can comp very quickly in Live, and I prefer it to lanes and multiple tracks.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:49 pm

jonljacobi wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:30 pm
Yes. I can comp very quickly in Live, and I prefer it to lanes and multiple tracks.
Yeah, some people like Reapers comping too...

Sorry, having used Logic and DP10 I can flatly say that it's just a weak comparison.
Comping is a workaround in Live, and I'm not that surprised, it's probably always going to be more performance oriented than editing oriented.

What does surprise me a bit is Lives lack of native MPE support.
Are you going to tell me that that's better in Live than Bitwig?

ozinga

Post by ozinga » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:32 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:49 pm
jonljacobi wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:30 pm
Yeah, some people like Reapers comping too...

Sorry, having used Logic and DP10 I can flatly say that it's just a weak comparison.
Comping is a workaround in Live, and I'm not that surprised, it's probably always going to be more performance oriented than editing oriented.

What does surprise me a bit is Lives lack of native MPE support.
Are you going to tell me that that's better in Live than Bitwig?
I believe this type of defending causes the slow progress of a program. There is a serious amount of users who would be OK if Live stayed just like the first version and in a weird way they are against progress and the obvious.
Like no need for bounce in place when there is freeze and flatten or the argument of there are ways of MPE or ARA is a niche thing etc.. They treat it as written by a prophet or a painting by Picasso and you can not dare to change a thing.
Most extremely, some try to convince you that a feature is there while it is not or try to convince you that you do not need that feature.
They accept the given and asking for something else is blasphemy. Another example of this is Motunation and we all see where DP stands at in the current market.
Of course there are ways of doing almost all of the things on any given DAW. That is not the point.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:30 pm

I've been going through this for a while now with people that are stuck in the methods used by other DAWs. Live's could definitely be improved as it's not really a feature but a workaround, but it is possible, and it's simply not that hard or slow once you're used to it.

I don't think the old metaphor of splicing bits from multiple tracks is necessary or desirable for an exercise in auditory comparison. Simply being able to split a clip into phrases and change the take used by each phrase is all that's necessary. I'd prefer if there were a way to do this without ever having to mess around in detail view as you do now. The only thing other than that I'd like to see is being able to edit multiple clips on multiple tracks simultaneously for drums or other multi-mic applications.

Basically, what I'd like to see is something different from what everyone else is asking for, not saying that it's perfect as is. There is no DAW on the market that I haven't tried comping in, including Luna. I've used Pro Tools in studios. I'm not unfamiliar with the process.

But this is supposed to be about MPE and I agree that it's close to embarrassing that Live doesn't have single track MPE, or a full MIDI implementation for that matter. I suspect this is going to change and that the editing of multiple clips, as limited as it is, is glimpse of that.