Live 10: *True* multi editing - select/edit more than 1 clip

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Idonotlikebroccoli

Live 10: *True* multi editing - select/edit more than 1 clip

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:25 pm

I'm disappointed by the so-called multi clip editing in Live 10.

This isn't multi clip *editing* - it's an improved way of jumping back and forth, just like in Live 9.

Let's say I have a bass track, an arpeggio, a pad, a lead synth and some repetitive background synth - all following a chord progression.
What if I decide to change up the chord progression? I still have to manipulate each individual clip, instead of just selecting one bar and hitting the up/down arrows.

I wish we could hold a modifier key (ctrl or alt) to make selections (and moving notes up/down) apply to both active and all background clips.

(L10-SUG-0228) Multiple MIDI transpose
Last edited by Idonotlikebroccoli on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tarekith

Re: Live 10: True multi editing - select from multiple clips

Post by Tarekith » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:01 pm

Make sure you submit a suggestion on centercode too so others can vote for the idea. Maybe search to make sure it’s not there already too.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:34 pm

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:43 pm

Doh, I'm an idiot, sorry. Been a long morning reminding people on Centercode to do the same thing. :)
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:19 am

Hehe, no worries - it's important for Ableton to have all feature requests organised properly.

Actually, this Centercode suggestion currently has more votes than the one I linked to previously: https://ableton.centercode.com/project/ ... 8abfdc3d51

I guess it gets tricky when there are clips of different durations. Let's say I have an 8 bar pad and a 1 bar long repetitive synth line, and the 1 bar synth is out of key on the pad's last chord.

For me at least, I wouldn't mind if a CTRL-selection resulted in the shorter clip being consolidated into a new clip with the duration of the longest one.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:51 pm

What? I have got to get in on this beta soon, so I can stop making assumptions about the new features. I thought for sure that the possibility of seeing multiple clips at once would also finally allow us to transpose multiple clips.

I can't vote before I've got access, but this will be the first thing I'll do once I get in.
:x

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:00 pm

I know, right! I was sure that was the main reason too, but it seems many people love just seeing a visual indication of how clips relate to each other.

I heard about Live 10 one week after the announcement, and I had to watch like 7 videos on YouTube before finding someone who unsuccessfully tried doing multi clip selections/edits.

Max devices load way faster now, so if nothing changes, at least I can use this: https://isotonikstudios.com/product/mid ... ip-editor/

sporkles

Re: Live 10: *True* multi editing - select/edit more than 1 clip

Post by sporkles » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:22 pm

True; the main reason why I haven't been using the Isotonik editor a lot is the fact that I've been avoiding M4L when I can. If M4L is indeed faster and more stable, at least that's that, but FFS, Ableton: we shouldn't have to use a M4L device hack just to select and move a bunch of MIDI notes.

I mean, I'd love to have all the handy tools that the Multiclip Editor offers, but I'd rather have just the basic functionality of a) SEEING multiple clips in the same view and b) getting access to the notes of as many or as few of the clips as I want at the same time - natively in Live.