Multi clip editor option: Fit shorter clips to longest clip

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
Post Reply
Idonotlikebroccoli
Posts: 1202
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:29 pm
Location: Norway

Multi clip editor option: Fit shorter clips to longest clip

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:44 pm

I have two MIDI clips:
- Repetitive lead synth with bass notes (1 bar)
- Pad (4 bars)

I want to adapt the 1 bar clip's bass notes to fit the pad's bass notes (4 bars).

When in the multi clip window, I can only edit the first bar of the repetitive synth.
I then have to duplicate its contents, so that the two clips are the same length.

It would be great to have an option to adapt shorter clips to the longest clip's length in the multi editing window.

For my use cases, I'm fairly sure I'd like this to happen automatically. Maybe it could be an option. It may not sound like a big request, but this would speed up my workflow a lot.


L10-SUG-0636


I would love a button or option that transforms this ...
Image

... into this (automatically in my case):
Image
Please vote! Live 10's "multi" clip editing should allow selection+editing of multiple clips in one action:

(L10-SUG-0228) Multiple MIDI transpose

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=228094

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: Multi clip editor option: Fit shorter clips to longest clip

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:21 pm

Idonotlikebroccoli wrote: I then have to duplicate its contents, so that the two clips are the same length.
You mean like having access to the double button?
Idonotlikebroccoli wrote: It would be great to have an option to adapt shorter clips to the longest clip's length in the multi editing window.
I'd hate to have this on by default. I change the lengths of my clips when I want. Maybe like an option.
Make some music!

JavPro
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:26 pm

Re: Multi clip editor option: Fit shorter clips to longest clip

Post by JavPro » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:42 pm

Have you a look at Chaos Culture? is a Multiclip MIdi Editor. I attack you the youtube link video, maybe you can do what you need: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OniOqBtE3_0

Idonotlikebroccoli
Posts: 1202
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:29 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Multi clip editor option: Fit shorter clips to longest clip

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:44 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Idonotlikebroccoli wrote: I then have to duplicate its contents, so that the two clips are the same length.
You mean like having access to the double button?
No, I mean like copying+pasting the 1 bar clip's contents to make it 2 bars (or clicking the loop brace and hitting CTRL+D).

In arrangement view, it can be done if you have a 1 bar clip stretched over 2 bars, and then consolidating it (CTRL+J).
Stromkraft wrote:
Idonotlikebroccoli wrote: It would be great to have an option to adapt shorter clips to the longest clip's length in the multi editing window.
I'd hate to have this on by default. I change the lengths of my clips when I want. Maybe like an option.
I agree, it should be an option.
JavPro wrote:Have you a look at Chaos Culture? is a Multiclip MIdi Editor. I attack you the youtube link video, maybe you can do what you need: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OniOqBtE3_0
Yeah, I use it when I need multi MIDI editing, but I generally prefer Live's native piano roll. It takes less time to access, and it's just what I'm used to.
Please vote! Live 10's "multi" clip editing should allow selection+editing of multiple clips in one action:

(L10-SUG-0228) Multiple MIDI transpose

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=228094

Idonotlikebroccoli
Posts: 1202
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:29 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Multi clip editor option: Fit shorter clips to longest clip

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:07 pm

Actually, I've discovered that what I really want is simply the ability to change individual clips' loop length from the multi editing window.

I can do this in Isotonik's editor: https://isotonikstudios.com/product/mid ... ip-editor/
Please vote! Live 10's "multi" clip editing should allow selection+editing of multiple clips in one action:

(L10-SUG-0228) Multiple MIDI transpose

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=228094

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: Multi clip editor option: Fit shorter clips to longest clip

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:31 am

Idonotlikebroccoli wrote:Actually, I've discovered that what I really want is simply the ability to change individual clips' loop length from the multi editing window.

Please vote! Live 10's "multi" clip editing should actually allow multi clip editing:

(L10-SUG-0228) Multiple MIDI transpose
Yeah.

I voted.
Make some music!

Post Reply