Extending MIDI editing feature set

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
alsms

Extending MIDI editing feature set

Post by alsms » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:58 am

Hi,

I would like to propose to extend midi functionality in Live to catch up with most other DAWs. This area of Live cannot be replaced by 3rd party plugins easily, so this is a limitation for a lot of people I guess (or at least a reason to use another DAW over Live).

1) In Cubase, for example, I have much more features to edit midi, like being able to make different kinds of adjustments to whole ranges of a midi clip. For example: Raising velocity linearly by pulling one end of a selected range of midi notes is not possible in Live. Live currently only pulls EVERY notes velocity up/down, which is not helpful. Pulling the velocity of every selected note up/down is only useful in some cases. So I end up manipulating the velocity of EVERY note, which can be a lot of work.

Examples (the pictures are not exact, but you get the idea):

Before Editing (starting to pull one side of a selected range of midi notes):

After Editing by pulling one side of a selected range of midi notes:

2) It would be very helpful to see midi modulation information (like modulation wheel, expression pedal, etc.) in the midi clip inside the arrangement view, just like midi notes. This is a very useful information, but Live hides midi modulation information inside midi clips and only shows midi notes. If I want to find the midi clip that is "too loud" (in many Kontakt libraries controlled by expression or mod wheel), I cannot see this in the arrangement view. I need to go through each track individually and see what clips are causing the problem. In a busy project, this is a pain.

Example:

3) Also, I cannot find a possibility to humanize midi data besides using midi effects. Midi Effects are not very useful for this kind of work (imo), because I want to see some notes line up exactly with the midi notes of other tracks, in some cases. So this solution lacks control. I can get there with some routing hassle, but its not comfortable.

Midi editing features are very important for people who work a lot with sampled instruments where midi manipulation is essential. Overall midi editing should be as easy as possible and enough tools should be available. Currently, the feature set is rudimentary and lacks behind a lot of other DAWs (imo).

Thanks.