in arrangement view i want my track info on left

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Jimmyschaus

in arrangement view i want my track info on left

Post by Jimmyschaus » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:42 am

Hi, haven't used ableton in a while and when I opened it up today, all of the track info/inputs and outputs/meters etc. were on the far RIGHT side of screen, and tracks themselves were on the left side of the screen. this is the opposite of what I'm used to and I'd like to change it back to have the track info on the left side of the screen with the tracks on the right. i'd love to attach an image to show you what i'm talking about, but i can't figure that out either.

miyaru

Re: in arrangement view i want my track info on left

Post by miyaru » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:30 am

Most DAW's have it on the left side, but Live on the right, what is the problem? I guess that's the way it is......

Let me know if you find out how to change it, it's a funny thought.....
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:14 am

Jimmyschaus wrote: this is the opposite of what I'm used to and I'd like to change it back to have the track info on the left side of the screen with the tracks on the right. i'd love to attach an image to show you what i'm talking about, but i can't figure that out either.
My suggestion is that you drink up your coffee and slowly back out of this discussion and never mention this to anyone ever again… :mrgreen:

The proper answer being that's just the way Live is since like its inception and given the look of the Live 10 beta you won't see any changes any time soon. It's a take it or leave it detail I think. It took me about 5 minutes to adjust moving from Logic 8 five years ago. I'm just saying.

That said, you could sign up to the beta program and see if there is a suggestion for this feature (flexible GUI?) , and if so vote for it, and if not create a new suggestion.
Make some music!

Jimmyschaus

Post by Jimmyschaus » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:51 pm

Stromkraft,

The proper answer being that's just the way Live is since like its inception

Not true...8 and at one point 9 had the track information on the left side of the screen, tracks on the right. I use Ableton a lot and have gotten very used to this layout. Since the change seemingly came out of nowhere I figured it was an option that might have been accidentally toggled, and could be changed back. There has to be a way. All other DAWs, including Ableton in the past, are laid out in the opposite fashion.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:21 pm

Ableton has always been like this, the track info has never been on the left like other DAWs, sorry.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:47 pm

Tarekith wrote:Ableton has always been like this, the track info has never been on the left like other DAWs, sorry.
Is it possible some language version could have had the info on the left at some point?
Make some music!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:23 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Is it possible some language version could have had the info on the left at some point?
Anythings possible but why would a certain language version change the position and create confusion (then not have the option for any user to change it)? Not a practice I am familiar with in software between languages.

Here is a screen of Live 1.0 arranger view from 2001:

Layout is the same as it is today. As Tarekith said, that's how it is/has always been and will be into the future as far as we know. Something you will get use to I am sure.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:18 pm

Yup, like everyone said so far, it's always been on the right. Just accept it, move on to creating stuff and you'll get used to it quickly enough ;)

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:03 am

jestermgee wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:
Anythings possible but why would a certain language version change the position and create confusion (then not have the option for any user to change it)? Not a practice I am familiar with in software between languages.
You are aware there exists languages that are read from right to left, right? I was just asking as couldn't figure out why the OP would think there had even been a Live version with track info to the left in Arrangement View.
Make some music!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:20 am

Stromkraft wrote: You are aware there exists languages that are read from right to left, right?
right to left right... Confusing [/joke]
Yes I am aware of this fact but this isn't the kind of software that I would see make a whole massive change to cater for that kind of situation and not make that an option for other users in the settings too.
Stromkraft wrote: I was just asking as couldn't figure out why the OP would think there had even been a Live version with track info to the left in Arrangement View.
I think you overthink things a bit too much sometimes. I'd say it's as simple as the user spending so much time in other DAWs he's lost touch with what is/is not an option in Live. It's probably the only main DAW to have the track info on the Right instead of the Left (without starting a debate about that).

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:33 am

jestermgee wrote:It's probably the only main DAW to have the track info on the Right instead of the Left (without starting a debate about that).
No!! I won't have that. There's a DAW in Eastbourne……
Make some music!

Myles North

Post by Myles North » Fri May 03, 2019 10:29 am

No worries man I feel you, like your first time in Britain haha. But, I believe the intention was to make the tracks "feel" closer when tabbing between Session and Arrangement... But it would be a nice option

hughchap

Post by hughchap » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:15 am

I'd also like it if there was a way to edit the GUI & get the track info on the left

poppercornell

Post by poppercornell » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:06 am

Definitely right is awkward for me at least.
If the recording went right to left, anchoring the controls on the right would make sense.
You want the anchor at the beginning not end of the stream.
It's like putting the clef, time and key signatures on the right side of sheet music bar.

Since it goes against every convention dating back to even hardware sequencers, heck even ancient sheet music.

With such a consequential feature, you'd want mention somewhere why they decided on right rather than left.
There could be something I'm missing.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:02 pm

Trust us. This has been discussed for ever.

But yes, it does run counter to learned behavior if you've used other DAWs. Then again, for someone who just wants to dig in and start dragging instruments and clips to the timeline it makes perfect sense. It prioritizes the arrangement part of the process rather than recording. It's just different that way.

You'll like Live a lot better (or not) once you stop trying to make it conform. i.e., stop fighting it. It's very efficient once you're used to it.