[SOLVED] Clips playing don't stop when I click on them

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
GiulioB

[SOLVED] Clips playing don't stop when I click on them

Post by GiulioB » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:59 pm

Hi everyone! I'm sure this is a silly questione but since I am new to the Ableton world I know very little about how it works; unfortunately I wasn't able to find anything about this issue. :?: :?:
I'm pretty much sure that if you click on a clip that is currently playing, it should stop playing (of course, according to the quantization you've set). However I don't seem to get this behaviour on my Ableton: let's say I got two clips on the same scene on two different tracks. I launch the scene and then I want to stop one of the clip so that just the other one keeps playing. The only way I can achieve this on my computer is, currently, clicking on an empty clip on the track of the clip I want to stop, or click the "stop track" button at the bottom of the track. Actually if I click on the clip I would like to pause, it just restarts from the beginning according to the quantization.
I suppose there must be a setting somewhere or some mode button that I need to use to change this behaviour. Can anyone help? :)
Last edited by GiulioB on Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stromkraft

Re: Clips playing don't stop if I click on them

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:45 am

GiulioB wrote: I'm pretty much sure that if you click on a clip that is currently playing, it should stop playing (of course, according to the quantization you've set). However I don't seem to get this behaviour on my Ableton:
This in the manual might help you:13.2 Launch Modes!
Make some music!

GiulioB

SOLUTION to the problem!

Post by GiulioB » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:05 am

YES! There it is! The point is I was actually missing the correct "name" to refer to this sort of behaviour. On the manual you've just posted they explain how to select launch mode for a single clip once it has been recorded. BTW if you go to Ableton preferences and look up in the section "record warp launch" there's a "default launch mode" option that is exactly what I was looking for. As soon as I set that to "TOGGLE", whatever clip gets recorded or added in the session view has the behaviour I had described.

Thank you for your help!! :!: :D