Link clips in Arrangement View

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
pscamel

Link clips in Arrangement View

Post by pscamel » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:48 am

Hi, a couple of days into my trial with Ableton so very much a novice with this DAW... One simple thing is driving me nuts and I can't find the answer anywhere.

How do I create clips in a Midi track that are linked to each other, meaning that changes in the piano roll for one clip will also update the other clips.

Currently I am duplicating clips using right click/ duplicate or CTRL/ drag and then making changes in one clip that are not replicated in other clips in the same track. So if I want to tweak a bass line or drum pattern, for example, I end up having to delete and repaste all of the clips to reflect the updates. There must be a better way!!

many thanks

8E

Re: Link clips in Arrangement View

Post by 8E » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:57 am

You must consolidate the clips.
MacOS Mojave MacBook Pro (15", Mid 2015), 2,5 GHz i7, 16GB RAM
Live Suite 10-latest + Push 1
U-PHORIA UMC204HD

pscamel

Post by pscamel » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:10 am

hi 8E, thanks for the reply but I don't think that's it. If I consolidate clips I just get 1 long clip. I want a series of linked clips (or sequences or patterns or bars or whatever I should call them) where changes in one are reflected in the others.

Let's say I have a bass pattern A-C-E-C. I use this 30 times in my composition. I decide I want to try A-C-E-F and I want this to be updated in all 30 instances. How do I do this?

thanks

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:33 am

Currently you want to have Max For Live that allows you to use a commercial product like JGJP AliasClips that works with MIDI clips. It's not perfect but pretty good when you need this.
Make some music!

pscamel

Post by pscamel » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:03 am

So Ableton live cannot make changes to notes across a set of multiple clips in Arrangement view. Is that really right? If it is, there's no way I can use this DAW!!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:07 am

pscamel wrote:So Ableton live cannot make changes to notes across a set of multiple clips in Arrangement view. Is that really right? If it is, there's no way I can use this DAW!!
Off ya trot then.

pscamel

Post by pscamel » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:07 am

If anyone has a solution I'd love to hear it, thanks

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:16 am

Stromkraft wrote:Currently you want to have Max For Live that allows you to use a commercial product like JGJP AliasClips that works with MIDI clips. It's not perfect but pretty good when you need this.
That is one solution otherwise what you are asking has been requested for years to be added and is currently being discussed on the Beta forums. I would personally love it as a feature but until it actually is one, I just get on with things. not about to chuck a wobbly because one feature isn't there. If that is so important right now that it's a deal breaker for Live, best look at another solution for a DAW

pscamel

Post by pscamel » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:25 am

thanks, that's very helpful. This is a dealbreaker for me. A shame as Ableton seems a great DAW otherwise and the interface and sound is nice. I'll continue to use Podium for now - not a popular or respected DAW but it works for me. Glad I did the trial before buying!! Good luck and enjoy!

distant_floats

Post by distant_floats » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:21 pm

It is really silly that this issue is still not addressed, but I've decided to migrate to Ableton anyway. I think with comping coming in live 11 you will be able to achieve this result, simply by having mutliple takes (in this case, variations) of your pattern as long loops through whole track. Then, when you'll edit the loop it will be edited throughout the track.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:10 pm

pscamel wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:03 am
So Ableton live cannot make changes to notes across a set of multiple clips in Arrangement view. Is that really right? If it is, there's no way I can use this DAW!!
Honestly that's ridiculous it's not a feature, it seems so simple

djfriendzone

Post by djfriendzone » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:07 am

This would be a really great feature to have, surprised Live doesn't have this yet. There are a few relevant suggestions in Centercode so be sure to vote on them if you want to see it:

https://ableton.centercode.com/project/ ... tefollow=1

https://ableton.centercode.com/project/ ... tefollow=1

with a mockup done of the forum here: viewtopic.php?t=236547

yuanyela

Post by yuanyela » Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:08 am

Yes, so ridiculous that they don't implement this, at least only as a preference that you may use or not. Linking clips, or having a pool of clips. It is 10 minutes of programming, even I could do it.

Ableton has many good things and things like this make loose a lot of users. The man who takes the decision must be so proud.