Improvement of the melodic step sequencer in Live 10

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
JJSC

Improvement of the melodic step sequencer in Live 10

Post by JJSC » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:46 pm

first of all, the new melodic step sequencer is fantastic as it is but Id like to share my thoughts about a new mode Ableton could add. I will try to explain myself.

In the current mode you have to press a note (or a chord) and THEN press the pad/s that is/are going to trigger that note/chord, then you have to do the same procedure for the next note/s.

Id like Ableton to introduce a new mode similar to Roland's sh101 and trX0X sequencing, I mean, first you play the entire melodic sequence and where you are done, you just press the notes in the sequencer which are going to trigger the notes/chords, so the melodic sequence starts at the first pressed note in the sequencer and advance one step at every pressed note in the sequencer.

i think it wouldnt be so hard to implement since you already have the new "capture" feature that (i suppose) saves every play in a buffer so once you have the melody in the buffer it would be just iterate through the "melody or array of notes", with a for loop ie, and set each position of the array to sound at its corresponding pressed pad in the sequencer (first note/chord -> first seq pressed pad, second note/chord -> second seq pressed pad, third....).

what do you think?? personally and having owned a sh101 and a tr707 time ago it really gives you funky sequences when jamming and is super fun to play

Regards
J

Stromkraft

Re: Improvement of the melodic step sequencer in Live 10

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:56 am

JJSC wrote: Id like Ableton to introduce a new mode similar to Roland's sh101 and trX0X sequencing, I mean, first you play the entire melodic sequence and where you are done, you just press the notes in the sequencer which are going to trigger the notes/chords, so the melodic sequence starts at the first pressed note in the sequencer and advance one step at every pressed note in the sequencer.

what do you think??
I love it. Please make this a suggestion at ableton.centercode.com for Live 10.
Make some music!

iloyd2

Re: Improvement of the melodic step sequencer in Live 10

Post by iloyd2 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:15 pm

JJSC wrote:first of all, the new melodic step sequencer is fantastic...
Hmm which melodic step sequencer is that? Currently I see "Step Sequencer.amxd" and "Mono Sequencer.amxd" and they work exactly like they were in 9.

EDIT: Oh, I see you mean Push Melodic Step Sequencer.