Please Ableton, don't remove any more existing functionality

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
quandry

Post by quandry » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:48 pm

melocoton wrote:
(dual monitors is also helpful)
LOL! It's funny you should mention that as it's the perfect example of how Ableton has unnecessarily restricted themselves into a certain concept of the interface. I use dual monitors but one just sits empty and unused when I'm running Live. I would love to have the session view in one monitor and the arrange in another. Or the file browser and plugin interfaces on one monitor and nothing but mixer channels on another.

This kind of flexibility wouldn't change the current way you use Live at all. You would still be free to constrain everything to one window just like the current Live interface. Just like a sub-folder menu structure wouldn't change the way you work because you would be free to not create any subfolders if you don't need them.
I agree with you on this. If they left the interface as we know it alone, but ALSO allowed one to yank the whole browser out of the interface as its own resizeable window (or the effect view, or clip view), it could be cool. The interface could stay the same for those that like it, and it could be more customizable and dual-monitor friendly. Many want session and arranger at same time on duals--seems like enough people have petitioned that it might be forthcoming in 6. What could be really cool about pulling out the clip view or effect view would be the possibility that you could have both showing at once--clips as per normal in the interface, and a big ol' half screen chunk of effects on a second monitor--I'd gladly sign up for that.

That said, I will give Ableton a LOT of credit for tweaks to the interface since version 2--the little buttons to hide routing/sends/mixer/etc., the resizable sess tracks in 5--they aren't sleeping or resting on laurels--they are definitely listening and implementing useful interface flexibility.
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:52 pm

RTM? What manual? Beta doesn't come with a manual.

also not true, there is a manual included with the beta.

-lm
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

PJarrett

Post by PJarrett » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:22 pm

Where? Mine came with the program and a brief "ReadMe" file.

Quote from the Beta Page:

The beta version has a few limitations:

The system language cannot be set to Japanese.

No manual is included.

The skin can only be set to the default.

Only a limited set of presets, samples, Live Sets and lessons is included.

You using some sort of hack, lm?

amo

Post by amo » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:26 pm

Current version: Live 5.0b19, Release Candidate 4

This version has enabled our bug reporter.
You will notice it when restarting Live after experiencing a crash.

This version comes in all supported languages including the corresponding manual.

It also contains the final selection of Skins.

To get this version go to the download section on our website and enter your Live 5 beta serial number: www.ableton.com/downloads

The change log concerning the fixed bugs and improvements is also included into the beta lesson. Check it out.

Kind Regards,
Alex
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

PJarrett

Post by PJarrett » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:28 pm

News to me...I was still using the beta-proper...never got the "Release Candidate" notification...

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:14 am

manual has been in since around b12 if i rremember right.

lm

edit: oh i was wrong. came in at beta 5 :

Hi folks,

the next beta version of Live 5 beta version is online.
We still have not yet increased the beta tester circle. Probably we will do this at the end of this week.

Current version: Live 5.0b5

This version includes the english Live 5 Manual in pdf format.
To get this version go to the download section on our website and enter your Live 5 beta serial number: www.ableton.com/downloads

The change log concerning the fixed bugs and improvements is also included into the beta lesson. Check it out.

Kind Regards,
Alex

Maybe it would be a good idea to give some of these new features a chance before declaring them "bad." It sometimes take a bit of time for stuff to sink in.

tencentcat

Post by tencentcat » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:42 am

leisuremuffin wrote:Maybe it would be a good idea to give some of these new features a chance before declaring them "bad." It sometimes take a bit of time for stuff to sink in.
I thought that too after the initial shock and discomfort. But after much use, reflection and soul searching, I still don't like it.

Not that I couldn't get used to it, but it just doesn't make logical sense - especially for maximizing workflow in live situations.

Dj Fil

Pre listen

Post by Dj Fil » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:32 am

what about to be alble to foward a song when you pre listen, cause what happen to me is most the time i don't remember the song or name of the song and if we could go through the song in the little black box at the botton instead of having to wait to song to start playing, when you are djying that helps, is like to be able to put the needle where we want, without having to launch the clip or song
also if we could have a time counter tha would help to so we'd know how much song left we have before we mix
peace

melocoton

Post by melocoton » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:32 am

tencentcat wrote:I thought that too after the initial shock and discomfort. But after much use, reflection and soul searching, I still don't like it.
Yeah, I'm sure over time I would get used to it and grow to accept it but that doesn't make it OK. Without even using it or having to reflect on it for very long, it's fairly clear to see that locating an interface item (in this case preset selection) next to the function that it effects (the plugin itself) is clearer, quicker and more intuitive than having that piece of the interface sit halfway across the screen. It's just a basic design issue.

ekko

Post by ekko » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:26 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:
Maybe it would be a good idea to give some of these new features a chance before declaring them "bad." It sometimes take a bit of time for stuff to sink in.

They're bad. And why should it take time for stuff to "sink in" in a program that many of us have been using for years AND has a design philosophy supposedly based on "intuitiive live use?"

Face it, Ableton has dropped the ball here. There wouldn't be multiple page threads about it if it were fine.

krank

Post by krank » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:11 pm

ekko wrote:
leisuremuffin wrote:
Face it, Ableton has dropped the ball here. There wouldn't be multiple page threads about it if it were fine.
Completely agreed. I'm wondering why none of the Ableton staff have chimed in on this? I could have overlooked a post, in that case please disregard.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:16 pm

krank wrote:
ekko wrote:
leisuremuffin wrote:
:wink: Just so noone thinks that i actually said that--------^

i think thats a bunch of horseshit.

I know you didn't mean to quote it so it looked like i said it, i'm just being difficult.

-lm-

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:01 am

Agreed.

Bring back the Preset menu to the FX panels.... not in the Browser window.

Whoever decided to make this change should be dragged into the street and shot.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:13 am

I want to chime in: This new preset brouser is unfortunate.

Now, even if I quickly want to jump to a track without any midi on it I stil have to scroll away from my unbearable number of Operator preselects. It seems that the two effects I chose the most during the beta period were Arpegiator and Saturator. What a nightmare always having to scroll back and forth, and god forbid, everytime I choose to lay down an operator track, I know that I will be stuck in the bermuda triangle of presets for an undeterminable amount of time.

Melocoton: I love your idea. I can go a split second of gui blockage if it means quick. organized and efficient use rapid, specialized sub menu navigation.

Great Suggestion!

ben_blue

Re: Pre listen

Post by ben_blue » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:53 am

Dj Fil wrote: also if we could have a time counter tha would help to so we'd know how much song left we have before we mix
peace
thats there. at the bottom of a track in session.
if its a looped clip - it will be a pie graph showing remaining time in loop and how many times it has looped.

if its a non looped clip, it will be a bar display with remianing time left.
my favorites at the moment: MASSIVE. FM8. LIVE 6. Bome's Pro. KORE.