slightly-WTF Piano roll view in "Edit multiple midi clips"

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Stefano6884

slightly-WTF Piano roll view in "Edit multiple midi clips"

Post by Stefano6884 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:27 am

1) Say that you have a 2-bar loop stretched (= repeated) for some long time (say, bar 1 to 128) on track 1.
Now on track 2 I create, say at bars 33-37, a 4-bar clip, and I want to edit it accordingly to what is already on the 2-bar loop so I go into multiclip edit.

W H Y O N E A R T H is the piano roll showing 128 bars and not only the intersection of the two clips (4 bars)?

I mean, I understand that if the two clips were co-primes in length, say 5 and 7 bars, and then they went together over and over, it would be useful to see 35 bars at a time, but...

---

2) Additionally, say that I have a 1-bar loop going on and on on track 1: if I select that alone the piano roll wisely shows 1 bar only and the play position loops on that over and over - praised be the lard for that, how else should it be?

Now say that I have another 1-bar loop on channel 2, I also stretch it to go on and on, and then I select both loops on ch1 and ch2 to work on them together. How should the piano roll look like? I'd say just as before, 1 bar been displayed and the play position looping over it. But instead, I get an "over-and-over"-long repetition of clips. :(

Is there a reason that I am missing for this all?