Live 10. Change the color palette?

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
zeepster

Live 10. Change the color palette?

Post by zeepster » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:31 pm

Anyone knows how to change the color palette in Live 10?
You know, the colors that you can assign to tracks and clips.

I can edit the overall Theme, but i don't know how to change the palette colors in the Theme.

Rivanni

Re: Live 10. Change the color palette?

Post by Rivanni » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:24 pm

You can't.

zeepster

Post by zeepster » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:31 pm

Rivanni wrote:You can't.
Oh that's too bad.. :(

LaotzeSunHammer

Post by LaotzeSunHammer » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:46 pm

Any idea how Ableton auto-assigns colors to new tracks? It seems there are certain colors it's likely to pick a lot of the time, and others it never picks. If possible I'd like to nudge it toward those colors that I use most often, in this case the pastel colors/lighter colors vs the darker or louder colors. Anyone know if this is possible?

oratowsky

Post by oratowsky » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:49 am

If I understand what you're asking, you can change a clip or track's color by right clicking on the clip or the track name and selecting the color.

You can change color auto assign behavior under Preferences > Look/Feel > Track and Clip Colors.

I don't believe you can modify the way clips or tracks are randomly assigned colors, but you can set one default color.

edit: Or do you mean, change the possible colors that you can assign to clips and tracks?

LaotzeSunHammer

Post by LaotzeSunHammer » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:19 am

No, I do mean how clips/tracks are randomly assigned colors.

To test how colors are assigned, I inserted 100 tracks, both MIDI and Audio, and saw that Live goes through 17 colors (a good representation of the whole color spectrum) before repeating in the exact same sequence. Since there are 70 colors available that means it never auto-selects 53 of them, and it just so happens most of my favorites are within this 53. The behavior was the same even when I changed the Colors theme. If only 17 will be used automatically that's fine, I just wish I was able to specify which colors.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:34 am

Hopefully some one from Ableton is noticing these post asking how to change the colors/theme of Live.
Personally I dont like to use Live much just because the themes are so goddamn depressing to look at.

Maybe grey is ok for some and they 'dont mind it' but its really horrendous to a color deficient person.

Can a mod get in contact with some one at ableton and let them know? I feel like we are on a stranded island with this forum and our only hope is a plane that flies by once in a while and drops some shit that we dont need.

HELP!
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

pottering

Post by pottering » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:30 am

nathannn wrote:Hopefully some one from Ableton is noticing these post asking how to change the colors/theme of Live.
Personally I dont like to use Live much just because the themes are so goddamn depressing to look at.

Maybe grey is ok for some and they 'dont mind it' but its really horrendous to a color deficient person.

Can a mod get in contact with some one at ableton and let them know? I feel like we are on a stranded island with this forum and our only hope is a plane that flies by once in a while and drops some shit that we dont need.

HELP!
You are talking about the low-contrast of grey on grey, right?

I come from a graphic design background, and the low-contrast "grey on grey" would horrify some of my teachers who were big on the clarity of the design (I agree with those teachers, it was one of the first things I noticed on Live, "Grey on grey, WTF?").

I complained about it on the last email survey, Live should have better accessibility options for color blindness and also more compatibility with screen-readers.

Live 10 does read the older .ask skin files from Live 9 and maybe even 8, if you put them in the themes folder ("C:\ProgramData\Ableton\Live 10 Suite\Resources\Themes" for Suite 10, on Windows).

If it is simply the actual grey and dark grey that predominate in Live 10's themes that annoy you, then you can pick the Light theme (Maybe Mid-Light with higher Brightness) and change Color Hue and Color Intensity.

Color Hue around 330 and cranking up Color Intensity gives a nice pink.

[edit: Just wanna add that personally I like the themes in Live 10, the above is more about accessibility.]
Last edited by pottering on Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♥♥♥

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:52 am

i really can't fathom why Live 10 ships with so few default themes, and how ugly most of them are.

my current fave is SB Prussian, from Sonic Bloom:

https://sonicbloom.net/en/?s=free+ablet ... es&lang=en

Dr_Hdt

Post by Dr_Hdt » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:22 am

fishmonkey wrote:i really can't fathom why Live 10 ships with so few default themes, and how ugly most of them are.

And you find those beautiful? :roll: Its a matter of taste.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:02 am

Dr_Hdt wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:i really can't fathom why Live 10 ships with so few default themes, and how ugly most of them are.

And you find those beautiful? :roll: Its a matter of taste.
uh, no i don't like most of them. others might, since, as you say, it's a matter of taste. that's stating the obvious though, isn't it?

i like working in low light, so dark themes are always my faves. and i don't particularly like lots of grey.

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:39 am

A custom color palette would be nice. Color preference is a personal thing. There are some shades of green I can't tell apart which my wife says they are totally different—go figure. As long as the software is capable of displaying the full RGB range regardless of which colors are shown in the palette, opening a project on systems using different palettes wouldn't be a problem. I personally would prefer a palette with half the number of colors, as I find having too many choices distracting.

GeoffModulate

Post by GeoffModulate » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:38 pm

This is a big one for me. I really don't like the new pallette in Live 10, I can't use the bold colours I want for tracks, and the new palette looks awful on the MPC40 mkII. We've run our live show off Live for years and the old palettes were much better, esp for the APC under stage lighting. I'm sure some designer thought it was nice to do a new palette but from a practical point of view, I want to be able to edit those colours and have them translate to the APC properly. Pastels doth butter no parsnips for me.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:43 pm

GeoffModulate wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:38 pm
Pastels doth butter no parsnips for me.
Love that :-)

Cheers
D

rfishwick

Post by rfishwick » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:44 pm

Now at Live 11 and still no way to significantly change palette colors? I'd love to change the loop control bar to something besides light grey so it stands out more. My color acuity is fine, I just think it this would enhance work flow to have the loop indicator stand out more, as is done on most other DAW's I've worked with.